Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That is fucking laughable stuff from Kingston, it’s not the Harlem globetrotters ffs
Can you imagine any of the other top managers coming out with shite like that…

Interesting couple of pages lads. It’s worth noting people are focusing on ‘ball winners’ in reference to a big half forward catching a puc-out… that’s a rare enough sight in the game these days - Kk are about the only team trying to do that still, majority of puc outs are not in the air down on top of a half forward line. Just look at ballygunner last week, dismantled kilmallock (who trying to apply a limerick high pressure game) with possession hurling.

I do however agree with the broad point (re too much focus on Shane kingston type players) but it’s more of the Brian Roche type of player and thinking of his performance in the AI 20s final last year than a big block like twomey. It’s tackles and rucks that we need to win more of, as opposed to catching puc outs.

I met a lad big into his hurling analysis before the all Ireland and he called it 10+ for limerick guaranteed… I said why so sure? He said they will put in almost double the amount of tackles than cork will today - and you can’t get close to another team if you’ve a gap in a stat like that.

Can you imagine any of the other top managers coming out with shite like that…

Interesting couple of pages lads. It’s worth noting people are focusing on ‘ball winners’ in reference to a big half forward catching a puc-out… that’s a rare enough sight in the game these days - Kk are about the only team trying to do that still, majority of puc outs are not in the air down on top of a half forward line. Just look at ballygunner last week, dismantled kilmallock (who trying to apply a limerick high pressure game) with possession hurling.

I do however agree with the broad point (re too much focus on Shane kingston type players) but it’s more of the Brian Roche type of player and thinking of his performance in the AI 20s final last year than a big block like twomey. It’s tackles and rucks that we need to win more of, as opposed to catching puc outs.

I met a lad big into his hurling analysis before the all Ireland and he called it 10+ for limerick guaranteed… I said why so sure? He said they will put in almost double the amount of tackles than cork will today - and you can’t get close to another team if you’ve a gap in a stat like that.
Why does everyone focus in on one aspect of what’s needed, or more to the point one aspect of what we are saying is needed, we don’t need 3 electricity poles in the half foward line to just catch the ball,and we don’t need the same 3 poles to lump clearances down on top of them, it’s a lot more nuanced than that and ye are doing the debate a disservice, Brian Roche would be a good option just like Sean Twomey would, but this idea that Twomey can’t win rucks just high ball is laughable

Your last paragraph is bang on the button and until we address that we are pissing into the wind

I think we’re broadly in violent agreement R&B re the type of player required for this team…might just be your use of Aidan Walsh as an example (couldn’t tackle or win a ruck) that throws me!

Unfortunately though, I think the tackling and work rate aspect is only partly about the players selected. I have my doubts as to whether kingston can establish a discipline and culture around work rate & tackling that the whole team buys into consistently, and systematically. What limerick do is down to a mix of the ability of the player, the detail of the system & plan (kinnerk & the vid analysis guys), the culture of the environment. I don’t doubt us on the first part - the other 2 I’m not so sure.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

29th Apr 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼