Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Conor Cahalane, Seamus Harnedy, Robbie O Flynn, Shane Kingston, Patrick Horgan, Jack O Connor

That is the foward line our management picked in the all ireland final to take on one of the most physically imposing defences to ever play hurling so don’t be telling me I’m wide of the mark

Is Conor Cahalane a Seanie McGrath type is he?

Maybe, just maybe, the selectors looked at Twomey for the role and decided Cahalane was better.

-Seamie is a better ball winner and hurler than Twomey.
-O Flynn was flying it and is a big man
-Kingston won the semi final.
-O Connor was our biggest goal threat all year.
-Hoggy is hoggy.

The Coleman centre back experiment and the short passing at the back does my head in too R&B so you using Twomey is a strange hill to die.

Dalton is also a better bet than him.

I would hope Keane is being viewed by management as a two or three year project as he cannot be seriously considered a contender for a place this season. He does have a lot of experience, is only 22 but the Cork football setup must be seriously pissed off with this.

There was some unexpectedly rough hurling last night to be fair, some of the lads really up for it on both sides. Niall O'Leary I felt did a fantastic job in the full back line.

Great to see such a big crowd too, arrived 25 mins before start and barely a spot to be seen around the barriers.

Is Conor Cahalane a Seanie McGrath type is he?

Maybe, just maybe, the selectors looked at Twomey for the role and decided Cahalane was better.

-Seamie is a better ball winner and hurler than Twomey.
-O Flynn was flying it and is a big man
-Kingston won the semi final.
-O Connor was our biggest goal threat all year.
-Hoggy is hoggy.

The Coleman centre back experiment and the short passing at the back does my head in too R&B so you using Twomey is a strange hill to die.

Dalton is also a better bet than him.
Forget Twomey, this is not about Twomey, even though I think he’s getting a raw deal, but so is Dalton (and Aidan Walsh before them) it’s about our lack of guys who can stand toe to toe and give as good as they get, how many of our foward line can do that?

“Seamie is a better ball winner than Twomey” does it have to be one or the other, could we not have a second or third ball winner? Nah?

O Flynn was having a good year up to the final, nothing spectacular but nothing majorily wrong either, but he is not a ball winner

Kingston came on in the semi and turned the game, exactly the role I said all along that suits him best, what do we do? Start him in the final

O Connor was our biggest goal threat all year, and fair play to him, but his ball winning ability is nearly as poor as Kingston’s

Hoggy is Hoggy, but what good is it having Hoggy if we don’t play to his strengths? Anyone remember the 2019 quarter final v Kilkenny, that’s how you use Hoggy

And yes Dalton is a better option than Twomey, but he couldn’t get a look in either, because we don’t want that type of player, we want all speed merchants and until that changes we are doomed

Last edited:
Forget Twomey, this is not about Twomey, even though I think he’s getting a raw deal, but so is Dalton (and Aidan Walsh before them) it’s about our lack of guys who can stand toe to toe and give as good as they get, how many of our foward line can do that?

“Seamie is a better ball winner than Twomey” does it have to be one or the other, could we not have a second or third ball winner? Nah?

O Flynn was having a good year up to the final, nothing spectacular but nothing majorily wrong either, but he is not a ball winner

Kingston came on in the semi and turned the game, exactly the role I said all along that suits him best, what do we do? Start him in the final

O Connor was our biggest goal threat all year, and fair play to him, but his ball winning ability is nearly as poor as Kingston’s

Hoggy is Hoggy, but what good is it having Hoggy if we don’t play to his strengths? Anyone remember the 2019 quarter final v Kilkenny, that’s how you use Hoggy

And yes Dalton is a better option than Twomey, but he couldn’t get a look in either, because we don’t want that type of player, we want all speed merchants and until that changes we are doomed
Agree with a lot of this. Would love to see 3 big men across the half forward line with realistic ball winning abilities. Imagine the hassle the defence would have not knowing which big man the puck out was going to. Exactly the kind of options Limerick have.

Harnedy Twomey Dalton (et al)

If Keane turns out to be the ball winner he can be throw him at the edge of the square with the option of a rotating any of the 3 lads outside with him. Hoggy JOC or whoever lying around corner forward playing off breaks and the open runs available. Likes of Kingston, or an in the mood Lehane etc to make the impact subs

What was Will Henn like for UCC? I think he's worth a look for Limerick.
Mark Keane is well worth persevering with. His size and aggressive traits are badly needed. But there's another big ball winner needed. O 'flynn should be played midfield. Hes strong but nit a ball winner in the air. Harnedy might not have the full 70 in him anymore.
Rob Downey is worth a go out on the wing. Although if that means Cahalane going full back then forget it. Damien Cahalane is a squad player and definitely not a fullback. I cam see him careering out from fullback and giving a hospital pass to a wing back or something. He can't change.. This is an important year for Cork. They arent far off but Munster is a bear pit. It's going to be very hard to get out of there.

What was Will Henn like for UCC? I think he's worth a look for Limerick.
Mark Keane is well worth persevering with. His size and aggressive traits are badly needed. But there's another big ball winner needed. O 'flynn should be played midfield. Hes strong but nit a ball winner in the air. Harnedy might not have the full 70 in him anymore.
Rob Downey is worth a go out on the wing. Although if that means Cahalane going full back then forget it. Damien Cahalane is a squad player and definitely not a fullback. I cam see him careering out from fullback and giving a hospital pass to a wing back or something. He can't change.. This is an important year for Cork. They arent far off but Munster is a bear pit. It's going to be very hard to get out of there.
Far off what.?

Apparently so.

“We didn’t name Mark in the team because we didn’t want to put pressure on him,” said Cork manager Kieran Kingston after the game.

“If we had (named him) there might have been another thousand people here and we wanted to take that pressure off him. He’s just back from Australia and he’s still involved with his club (Ballygiblin).
Christ...who is he Christy Ring...this covid has peoples minds gone 😠

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼