Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Agree 100%, I’ve been saying for 2/3 years this guy needs to be looked at, but he doesn’t fit into the short passing running game they want to play, it’s ridiculous

He’s just off a long season with Courceys. It’s only January.

If the management were insistent on tippy/tally hurlers as you’re suggesting then they wouldn’t be looking at Mark Keane because he’s as raw as it comes.

Last night was the first exposure Mark Keane had to hurling at this level.
In the circumstances I thought he did alright.
Just about everyone else spent last year hurling on the senior or under 20 panels.

Mark spent the majority of last year playing Australian rules.
I don't think he played any hurling until October.

He won't be 22 until March and I would guess is seen as a long term project instead of an immediate fix.

How well would anybody else on the pitch last night have done if they spent last summer playing a different sport in a different country .
He certainly did not look lost but if he could come into that game and be the star it would not say much for the others.

Let's look at him in six months and see how he is progressing.
At last, a bit of realism, Keane is a work in progress, might take a few months or it might take a few years, but everyone needs to give him a chance

He’s just off a long season with Courceys. It’s only January.

If the management were insistent on tippy/tally hurlers as you’re suggesting then they wouldn’t be looking at Mark Keane because he’s as raw as it comes.
I didn’t mention Twomey not starting v UCC, it’s pre season and he’s has a long year, my point is he is being consistently overlooked for a starting role with cork, and the only reason I can see for that is he doesn’t suit the short passing running style the management favour

What does Keane add to the panel that they haven't already added to the panel recently? His height? He's the same build as Sean Twomey and Colin O'Brien but with not near there level of hurling. Downey was comfortable on Keane last night. Mark's point came from a turnover in the middle of the field, you had Harnedy carrying the ball down the middle and Keane out on the right. Downey made the simple decision to leave Keane and go to close down Harnedy, Seamie played a pass out to the unmarked Keane and he got a point.
I'd love to proven wrong, I'd love nothing more than the lad to turn in to a great inter County hurler, but from seeing him at inter County level last night, and having seen him play in the Avondhu championship with Ballygiblin I just can't see it happening. At the same time lads it's the second week of January, we've a long road ahead of us so let's just wait and see. There was more positives from the new lads last night than negatives.

I didn’t mention Twomey not starting v UCC, it’s pre season and he’s has a long year, my point is he is being consistently overlooked for a starting role with cork, and the only reason I can see for that is he doesn’t suit the short passing running style the management favour

Twomey was a senior panellist when taken off in a few u-20 championship games. He’s a good player but inconsistent.

I’m sure management would cut him altogether if they had no plans to ever use him.

I’m sure he’ll be given the opportunity to impress in time.

Good hurlers can work in any system by the way. Casey and Mulcahy aren’t typical Limerick hurlers but they’re good enough to play. Fergal McCormack and Timmy Mac were stylistically night and day from the twins, Seanie McGrath and Joe Deane.

If a player is good enough he’ll play. Suggesting management will only use a certain prototype player is wildly off the mark.

What does Keane add to the panel that they haven't already added to the panel recently? His height? He's the same build as Sean Twomey and Colin O'Brien but with not near there level of hurling. Downey was comfortable on Keane last night. Mark's point came from a turnover in the middle of the field, you had Harnedy carrying the ball down the middle and Keane out on the right. Downey made the simple decision to leave Keane and go to close down Harnedy, Seamie played a pass out to the unmarked Keane and he got a point.
I'd love to proven wrong, I'd love nothing more than the lad to turn in to a great inter County hurler, but from seeing him at inter County level last night, and having seen him play in the Avondhu championship with Ballygiblin I just can't see it happening. At the same time lads it's the second week of January, we've a long road ahead of us so let's just wait and see. There was more positives from the new lads last night than negatives.
Yeah I have to agree with this. Wish the lad well and would love to be proven wrong but this crap of trying to be too cute and look for the unorthodox and playing lads in different positions drives me mad. Nearly fell off my chair when I saw he was starting, even if it's a going through the motions game in January.

Twomey was a senior panellist when taken off in a few u-20 championship games. He’s a good player but inconsistent.

I’m sure management would cut him altogether if they had no plans to ever use him.

I’m sure he’ll be given the opportunity to impress in time.

Good hurlers can work in any system by the way. Casey and Mulcahy aren’t typical Limerick hurlers but they’re good enough to play. Fergal McCormack and Timmy Mac were stylistically night and day from the twins, Seanie McGrath and Joe Deane.

If a player is good enough he’ll play. Suggesting management will only use a certain prototype player is wildly off the mark.
Conor Cahalane, Seamus Harnedy, Robbie O Flynn, Shane Kingston, Patrick Horgan, Jack O Connor

That is the foward line our management picked in the all ireland final to take on one of the most physically imposing defences to ever play hurling so don’t be telling me I’m wide of the mark

I think there is still a predisposition towards the knacky wrists hurler in cork and the balance in the team has suffered from that for a long while. It’s clear balance is critical but so is coaching and Limerick prove that with the massive improvements over the last few years amongst the likes of hegarty for example.
Cork now have a number of potentially very good physical ball winning forwards and they need game time and perseverance like the management showed with Jack o Connor in fairness. Keane is a huge gamble imo and I just wonder will he be a viable option in reality come May?

Mark would be seen as another potential ball winner in a squad that has few enough of them.
In time I think he may prove to be a better back or even midfielder.
He brings serious aerial ability toughness and aggression.
He has built up a collection of red cards during his career and curbing his temper is just one of the challenges he faces.
However, if you are tough enough to play in the Collingwood senior team at twenty you are tough enough to play senior hurling.

Management obviously feel he is worth looking at for a length of time and Mark now has to learnto hurl and think at a faster pace than before.
That is the next challenge for him.

BTW, I thought James O Flynn did himself no harm at all last night, I thought he played a lot of ball.
I also noticed that Daire O Leary has turned into a seriously big young man.
Colin O Brien is just about as tall as Rob Downey and Tim O Mahony seems much stronger physically this year.

S
I think there is still a predisposition towards the knacky wrists hurler in cork and the balance in the team has suffered from that for a long while. It’s clear balance is critical but so is coaching and Limerick prove that with the massive improvements over the last few years amongst the likes of hegarty for example.
Cork now have a number of potentially very good physical ball winning forwards and they need game time and perseverance like the management showed with Jack o Connor in fairness. Keane is a huge gamble imo and I just wonder will he be a viable option in reality come May?
said with a bit more subtlety than I could muster 😀

I hope we try utilise our ball winners a bit more than we have in the past, we have practically wasted Hoggy for the last few years by not building a foward line capable of supplying him with regular ball, I hope we come to our senses before it is too late for him

On mark keane, I wouldn’t be placing any pressure on him this year, if he can get up to speed this year great, if not let’s develop him and wait until he is ready. And if it doesn’t work out so what, at least he (and the selectors) had the balls to try it

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kisses, Juozas (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5pm

More events ▼