Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Yep, if we don’t beat Dublin we are absolutely fucked.. rip it up, start again

They are a decent side who realistically expect to be well beaten, but they will give it a good crack. We need to start strong, crush any hope they have early, and put it to bed
I accept that Cork have huge potential. But I really can't understand where this kind of confidence comes from. Cork have won fuck all. Dublin have as many AI medals as us. There are fully grown men and women in their middle twenties who remember Cork and Dublin hurlers being precisely the same - perennial losers. We really need to catch a hold of ourselves and take it one game at a time.

I accept that Cork have huge potential. But I really can't understand where this kind of confidence comes from. Cork have won fuck all. Dublin have as many AI medals as us. There are fully grown men and women in their middle twenties who remember Cork and Dublin hurlers being precisely the same - perennial losers. We really need to catch a hold of ourselves and take it one game at a time.
Spot on here.

This is Cork Dick, we already see ourselves as champions, the games are being played just to confirm it. Corkness at its best

The usual clichés are getting a run out I see.....
"Corkness" - the non existent condition dreamed up by some journo - subsequently used to bate anyone with the temerity to suggest that a Cork team is half decent, and that supporters don't need to be bent double with anxiety going into a game v Dublin.

Sure we could lose to Dublin, it's possible.
It might very well happen.
Everyone dog on the street knows that, every Cork pundit given a microphone over the past week has been at pains to point out the potential banana skin that is the game on Saturday.

You can know all of that without the black and white thought process that equates Cork with Dublin hurling over the past 20 years - that is just some self loathing bs.

If you want to compare facts and use measures other than "there are fully grown men and women in their middle twenties who remember Cork and Dublin hurlers being precisely the same - perennial losers" you'll see that the results of Cork and Dublin versus Limerick, Tipp, Clare, Wexford and Kilkenny clearly show Cork score more and concede less.
Whatever way you cut it that points at Cork being the team most likely to win on Saturday.

Is it a given?
Of course it f*ckin' is not - but it's reasonable to see them as favourites.

You do have to take one day at a time but the facts are Dublin haven’t beaten Cork in the senior championship since 1927. They were an absolute shambles in their last outing. If Cork lose this it will be the greatest shock involving a Cork hurling team in a couple of generations.

What is also true is that over the last 20 years since we have started playing them regularly again, Cork have always made heavy enough weather of the Dubs. Probably be the same again this time. It’s an awful pity the game isn’t in Croke Park. Id expect a 7 or 8 point win against Dublin and in Thurles I don’t think that will really develop them much.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

10th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Mirrors

Coughlan's, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼