Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Teddy was on one side of the later strikes as was Sean Og, Tom Kenny et al.
All have expressed regret and the impacts on Cork hurling.
The 02 strike was roundly supported and positives came from that., The 08/09 strike was the opposite.
Sport is opinions..

Total BS.

Frank Murphy shagged Cork hurling and football and his white elephant goodbye saddled the county with shitloads of debt.

Going on about players strikes from 15 years ago in 2023 is a complete waste of time.

The lot of people you suggest are those at the top of hurling in the county. I find it astonishing that some people here think the strike didn’t have an impact on what happened, even when many greats and those on both sides have gone on record saying so, including our recently deceased legend Teddy Mc Rip.
The original and simple point is that it might be no harm if the ex Cork players who have a media platform could highlight nationally some of the questionable refereeing, that is constantly being mentioned on here!
I don't think there's much doubt that the Strike did have an impact.

Where the discussion lays though is, just how much of an impact did the strike really have?

Did it really knock us back a decade or more - personally I think it's a bit silly to suggest that players who went on strike in 2009 ensured that Cork haven't won a hurling AI since. And, had there been no strike at all, if the players just grinned and bore it, would we be in a better, much the same, or worse place than we find ourselves in today? I think it hard to know for sure - yet it seems there are some out there trying to blame a 2009 strike for our lack of AIs since

Like or loathe the strikes, I think at least there's no underlying disaffection with the CCB now compared to the undeniable antipathy that there used to be between the players and the CCB executive back in the day. Did the players at the time put too high a price on lancing the boil? Hard to know for sure.

Cranky when i was a young fella it was often said that every selector had a clubman on the minor team even if they had no chance of getting a game

Regularly recall seeing Cork minor teams back in the day peppered with players from out-of-the-way clubs that hadn't done much underage and it was a bit of a head-scratcher as to how so-and-so was on the team, until you read down through the list of selectors and invariably the small club man would have a fellow clubman amongst the selectors. It was almost an unwritten rule.

Agree there is little comparison between
CCB now and then.
On the impacts from the implosion in Cork hurling following 07 & 08/09, I defer to what the players, selectors, managers and those involved at the time say now about it and how they’d do it differently if back again. Cork should have won more then with that team and with the organs of Cork hurling ripped out (whether we liked those or not) it had an undeniable and quantitative longer term affect.

Regularly recall seeing Cork minor teams back in the day peppered with players from out-of-the-way clubs that hadn't done much underage and it was a bit of a head-scratcher as to how so-and-so was on the team, until you read down through the list of selectors and invariably the small club man would have a fellow clubman amongst the selectors. It was almost an unwritten rule.
It hasn’t gone away you know..

Agree there is little comparison between
CCB now and then.
On the impacts from the implosion in Cork hurling following 07 & 08/09, I defer to what the players, selectors, managers and those involved at the time say now about it and how they’d do it differently if back again. Cork should have won more then with that team and with the organs of Cork hurling ripped out (whether we liked those or not) it had an undeniable and quantitative longer term affect.

O right, the 08 hurlers striking resulted in subsequent minor and u-21 management setups?

Fascinating. Do tell...

Sean Og saying he regretted some of the stuff said at the time is not a vindication of the county board and An Runai's shitshow.

Are there clubs you believe shouldn’t have Co players? No matter how good said players are?

Are there clubs you believe shouldn’t have Co players? No matter how good said players are?
That’s not the point. The U20 team this year proved that point. And the reason they proved it is cause the County Board invested in Rebel Og, Minor and 20 management.
Cleared out County Board buddies and brought in interested managers and selectors wanting to promote development whether it was short or long terms. Players not being selected cause their dad knows the manager or else cause they’re a selector from their club and was sure we give him a chance what harm will it do.

The harm it done was that you had what some people call late bloomers in their 20’s being picked on Senior Squads. They weren’t late bloomers at all they just didn’t know the manager.
Thankfully now tho the new administration and development officers have cut out all that carry on.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Terry Alderton and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Aidan Killian - Comedian

The Richmond Revival, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼