Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Big reality check. Missed the game but it seemed Cork lacked composure and discipline. 1 red card and another should have got one.

Although we need to be careful now lads lest we be accused of talking ‘poison’. We can’t criticise these players lads.
Well... probably best not to criticise something you haven't actually watched yet still consider it essential that people need to hear your musings on reality

As somebody who actually went to the game- my initial thoughts are that poor first touch, a lack of understanding between attacking players and hesitancy around decision making hurt us badly.

The defending, or lack of, for the first goal was baffling.
everyone seemed to be waiting for someone else to get a tackle in.

Rob Downey was mighty, and given that we were down to 14 I thought we showed some resilience in preventing a rout.
Shane Barrett slipping, when heading towards goal in the first half, after a lovely pass from TOC stands out in my mind as the missed chance that could have changed the momentum, would have brought the Cork crowd roaring into the game.

The amount of dropped and fumbled balls was painful to watch.
Hoping that it's something that will be eradicated and that first touch is light years better come the end of April

The lack of any discernible game plan is curious. Very hard to figure out the plan if there is one.
That to me that was the main problem. The first option when any back gets the ball was to either pass backwards, sideways or look to go all the way back to the goalie, all the while slowing everything down.

Contrast that with how Limerick exit (and in fairness teams under Cahill and Davy), they are not looking to merely conserve possession because they won it back, but are looking to attack and as quickly as possible.

Of course it is. You heard it here first folks.

Collins is better than Quaid. And Dalton won all Cork’s games on his own up to today.
You can think it’s trolling all you want. I said nothing too criminal. If Collins was in that Limerick goal he’d be up there with the best and Declan Dalton is an invaluable player to this cork team. I don’t think you’re in the best place to speak when you didn’t even watch the game today. I was there and saw it with my own two eyes

Yeah the exit strategy was perplexing. It did seem very similar to previous management's. The slow pass across the pitch or a pass into a guy in heavy traffic . He in turn has no clue what to do with it. The diagonal ball was over done. It invites the backs to attack it .

You can think it’s trolling all you want. I said nothing too criminal. If Collins was in that Limerick goal he’d be up there with the best and Declan Dalton is an invaluable player to this cork team. I don’t think you’re in the best place to speak when you didn’t even watch the game today. I was there and saw it with my own two eyes
If Collins was in the Limerick team he'd have the same number of All stars as he does now.

That's not a slight on Collins by the way, he's probably the best we have available. However the reality is he's way off the level of someone like Nicky Quaid.

In a nutshell:

PK: Not good enough but the best we have
NOL: Dependable. A Denis Irwin. 7/10 everyday. Makes my championship team
ED: Played well. Made a stupid mistake. Wondering will it cost him in the long run this year
DC: If he had two brain cells he would be twice as stupid
TOC: Our best ‘find’ of the league. Played well today. Good enough now and will get better
CJ: Played well. Didn’t dominate the middle but he owns the jersey
RD: Written off by many, our best player today. Into the frame for a start now
BR: Good league, today was his first shite performance. He starts
ET: Improved every single game. I think BR is ahead of him and someone more experienced gets the nod in championship
CC: Just not good enough
CL: Like Katy Perry says in that song, he’s hot and he’s cold. Will still start championship
SB: played himself into the championship team during the league
JOC: only way he gets in the team is playing off the FF. Today he was roaming to make space for PP which doesn’t work for him. It’s a role CL could excel in. JOC will make the 26 but not start.
PP: Great first half, pity he didn’t come out of the dressing room for second. In contention for a start
SK: Played ok today, we haven’t learned anything new about him in the league
Fair enough ratings. Nobody gave up which pleased me, just a lack of quality.
We have to back our keeper at this stage, we dont have to allow him to drive long range frees wide.
DC is not a corner back, we shouldnt play him there.
B Roche & Twomey lost the midfield battle, they are young and worked hard. I felt B Roche had a good first half.
Barrett our best forward with several points and assists.
Lehane drives us all crazy, either class or crap, crap today. How an experienced player cant find a way into a game, by getting a free, or setting up an score is crazy.
CC while scoring 2 points, didnt play well, gave away many fees.
JOC in not anywhere close to his previous best, no treat today. To his credit he tracked back hard.
Kingston again was class from frees but imo my very poor from general play.
Again nobody gave up but we lacked quality. Need our injuried players to get back fit.

With our injury profile, Its probably no harm that we're not playing Limerick in the final.

He worked hard for sure but that’s the minimum. Seems like if he’s doesn’t get an early score his confidence is gone. Think he will still start championship though but his shooting and play in general today was pathetic.
Barrett is someone who could maybe play his role
If Lehane starts after his last couple performances I’ll lose all faith in management.

I’ve seen all of their matches up to today so I know exactly how good both players are. Quaid is an all time great. And in my opinion Dalton has not shown anywhere near the consistency required. And he’s injured far too often.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

15th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Noughty Club Night

The Pavilion, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼