Cork Hurlers - Part 2

You’re right in a way in that we have to start standing up to them, I’m sick of the fuckers doing as they please with us, but next Saturday won’t define our season either way. We just have to look at last years league game against the same opposition for proof of that
Agreed. The league in its current format will tell us very little.
Hopefully Limerick bring some of the big guns to test our lads.

Does anyone know if Colin O'Brien is involved with the panel this year? He is a big physical presence and probably wouldn't have as much hurling as some of the other silky, nippy hurlers that we have but could definitely at least challenge for a wing forward spot in the coming years.

Does anyone know if Colin O'Brien is involved with the panel this year? He is a big physical presence and probably wouldn't have as much hurling as some of the other silky, nippy hurlers that we have but could definitely at least challenge for a wing forward spot in the coming years.
I don’t think he is but he’s definitely one I’d be looking at, hopefully Pat might bring him in during the league

I don’t think he is but he’s definitely one I’d be looking at, hopefully Pat might bring him in during the league
Doubtful, he was mentioned a bit here last year and Kingston got a bit of criticism for letting him go from training panel. But at the time I said there's usually a reason why that might happen.
And interesting enough the current management haven't him in either despite the fact that they'd know him well since u20 so draw from that what you will

Next Saturday will tell nothing about the Cork v Limerick Championship match. It ll take a win in the round Robin before Cork can regain their dignity in that rivalry. Currently they are a bit off but iv seen enough already to feel like they are going in the right direction.
Lads Will O Donoghue and Kyle Hayes are generational players. Iv watched WOD over the years and he's improved out and out but he had the physical attributes to play any game. He's fast and a hulk of a man and passes brilliantly. Hayes is on another level again. Neither are stick men and both have something Cork don't have at the moment.. Raw unfiltered aggression. Hayes would decapitate a fella if he needed to. You either have that or you don't.
Like a poster said Cork have to be true to the red Jersey and there's more than one way to skin a cat. Skill and speed will get you so far but do need a WOD type ...If there was a young Bill Cooper..that would be enough in my opinion. Ben O Connor is very young but he has that aggression and so does Dalton but Dalton has no wheels so has to be full forward.
Limerick aren't over rated. They are actually still under rated . They are a phenomenal side..not a silky Tipp or Cork type or a technically Unreal Kilkenny . They are true to themselves and Limerick hurling. When the game is in the melting pot or they need their best game in An All Ireland Final it must be a pleasure to Kiely to look at the calibre of man he has sitting in that dressing room. From goalie out...some men
Spot on. You’ve nailed it.

Doubtful, he was mentioned a bit here last year and Kingston got a bit of criticism for letting him go from training panel. But at the time I said there's usually a reason why that might happen.
And interesting enough the current management haven't him in either despite the fact that they'd know him well since u20 so draw from that what you will
I don’t draw anything from it but I’d be interested in knowing what you do

AllCork32 and red&blue

I was informed Tim O'Mahony's injury is a dead leg which has not allowed him to train properly. I didn't think such an injury would effect a player that long but my source stated it would be 2nd or 3rd round of the league before he's available.

Brigadier Cleburne

A Limerick man said to me recently John Kiely must be fed up with the behaviour of his players off the field and among a lot of Limerick folk the feeling was embarrassing despite their success, so not even near everyone in Limerick think like you not to mind elsewhere.

Their aggression on the field is allied to the breaking of the rules in hurling but it started with Kilkenny. This is playing in your face hurling and there is no place for it in the game going by the rules but unfortunately it is now allowed and encouraged. It suits the current Limerick mid-field players as they are not stick men but ruckers and maulers. We have the referees all buying into it and reffing the inter-county games differently from club games, this should not be the case as the game is HURLING with it's own rules and should be refereed the same way at all levels. The way last years AI was refereed by Colm Lyons compared to the way he refereed say last years Cork Co. championship semi-final between the 'Barrs and Newtown, this is evidence in itself that the standards have dropped, I recently mentioned this to a well-known referee and he acknowledged there was a directive to them from Croke Park to referee inter-county games differently to club games. We have pundits on TV stating this has to be the way to preserve the physicality in the game as the game is all about possession, years ago skill and stickwork were paramount but those days are gone.

This isn't an excuse for Cork, as I stated before the county board let standards across all levels drop in hurling and football in their need to focus on their own agendas. However Cork could easily have defeated Limerick in the 2018 AI semi-final while under poor management and did defeat them in 2019 in the championship at the Gaelic Grounds under the same poor set-up. Kieran Kingstons second spell was poor as he needed a different group of mentors with him and his cherry picking only got worse last year not to mind playing a poor style obsessed with short passing and running inept game for far too long. Pat Ryan is now emphasising direct play and when the injured players return it should take us a further along a rocky road. However that curve started already and next Saturday night is another stepping stone that has a significance all of its own for this Cork team. It was nice winning the last one and let's try and win the next one!

Last edited:
Next Saturday will tell nothing about the Cork v Limerick Championship match. It ll take a win in the round Robin before Cork can regain their dignity in that rivalry. Currently they are a bit off but iv seen enough already to feel like they are going in the right direction.
Lads Will O Donoghue and Kyle Hayes are generational players. Iv watched WOD over the years and he's improved out and out but he had the physical attributes to play any game. He's fast and a hulk of a man and passes brilliantly. Hayes is on another level again. Neither are stick men and both have something Cork don't have at the moment.. Raw unfiltered aggression. Hayes would decapitate a fella if he needed to. You either have that or you don't.
Like a poster said Cork have to be true to the red Jersey and there's more than one way to skin a cat. Skill and speed will get you so far but do need a WOD type ...If there was a young Bill Cooper..that would be enough in my opinion. Ben O Connor is very young but he has that aggression and so does Dalton but Dalton has no wheels so has to be full forward.
Limerick aren't over rated. They are actually still under rated . They are a phenomenal side..not a silky Tipp or Cork type or a technically Unreal Kilkenny . They are true to themselves and Limerick hurling. When the game is in the melting pot or they need their best game in An All Ireland Final it must be a pleasure to Kiely to look at the calibre of man he has sitting in that dressing room. From goalie out...some men
Hopefully, the “men” of Galway, Clare and Kilkenny, as they did last year, will carry the fight to the superhuman heroes! Here’s hoping the “wilting lilies” don’t cower in the face of such awe inspiring power! When the Cork supporters are awestruck with Limerick’s greatness, no surprise the team follows suit!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼