Cork Hurlers - Part 2

StoneHouse

There aren't many options for No. 11. Seamie is still injury prone and his clock is ticking at this level. Conor will be first option for me but who comes after. O'Donoghue is more likely for mid-field than centre-forward. If we play him corner-back from January with O'Leary at 2 and Cahalane at 3 we will all learn nothing and end up with repeat failure by championship.

I don't think Ethan Twomey is a recovery type player, a marker or a chaser. He's far better playing from the front and better suited to mid-field.

Pat Ryan and his selectors have to think outside the box more regarding the defence over the attack. We all know what Cahalane, O'Donoghue, and Downey can and cannot do but we need to see James O'Flynn, Liam Ryan, Fergal Lordan and Andrew McCarthy get a run in the South East League and hopefully then the National League. Also Sean O'Donoghue may be more influential playing further up-field rather than corner-back and it would put the onus on new defenders to develop during the Winter and early Spring.

Get well soon Mark Coleman!👍
Inniscarra must have a serious defence if 3 of them are good enough for Cork

The backs will have Niall O Leary, R Downey, O Donoghue, Cahalane,Joyce,Millerick,Darragh O Leary from last season.

Added to those will be Connery, Eoin Roche, maybe Tommy O Connell, maybe Eoin Downey, O Leary Hayes, Cormac O Brien. I am sure I have forgotten others as well.

I would not be surprised to see TOM in midfield and Fitzgibbon at 11.

A real shame reading about Coleman’s injury. A classy hurler, I was looking forward to seeing what Pat Ryan had in store for him tactically. Ryan liked direct early ball into his forward line from the under 20 days which Coleman would have suited to a tee. Wouldn’t surprise me to see TOM brought back out the field too.

I’d be slightly concerned going into a short league campaign where we have so much up in the air. Arguably other than Joyce at 6 the remaining positions up the spine aren’t locked down. I know we need new lads to be putting their hands up but it’s much easier to break into a relatively settled team then one that’s still looking for it’s identity let’s say.

A lot for Pat Ryan to ponder on.

North Cork

Do you think Darragh Flynn will make the panel? The long-term injury has set him back and I thought he was poor v St. Kierans but then he was Man of the Match yesterday and he has talent to burn.

Sean O'Leary Hayes has got plenty game time and hasn't been near inter-county level as a defender.

Agree with the idea of Tim O'Mahony at mid-field but will be very surprised if Darragh Fitz is at 11.

Come off the stage

One of them players you refer doesn't play in defence for Inniscarra namely Sean O'Donoghue. He plays in attack to give balance to their team. Cork also need balance and they can't afford to be going with the same full-back line they've played for a good few years. As I stated earlier the selectors need to think outside the box.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼