Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Is Deccie Dalton injured? Can't for the life of me understand how he wouldn't be in an extended panel at the very least. A great option to have that offers something different to the majority of our forwards. He would compete physically with any Galway/Limerick defender. Something we can't say about all of our players. He was sitting next to Mellerick for the Waterford game in the stand so I assumed he was still in and around the squad.

Is Deccie Dalton injured? Can't for the life of me understand how he wouldn't be in an extended panel at the very least. A great option to have that offers something different to the majority of our forwards. He would compete physically with any Galway/Limerick defender. Something we can't say about all of our players. He was sitting next to Mellerick for the Waterford game in the stand so I assumed he was still in and around the squad.
This question has been answered here plenty times. Not injured anymore. Deemed surplus to requirements.

Bang on

Now I’m depressed again , a big boo boo not having him involved, hope it doesn’t come back to bite us

Happy enough with that first 15. Couple of things about the bench - it's light on defensive cover, with only O'Leary-Hayes and Millerick as out-and-out defenders. O'Connell could play at Hb, and apparent Keane played there in the challenge match against Wexford, so those two might provide extra cover. That might be fine against Antrim but it would worry me a little going into a QF.

With Tim in from that start, there are very few forwards who could offer a ball-winning alternative off the bench, especially if Cork would struggle on their own puck-outs - just Keane again, really. The bench looks a bit top-heavy with forwards, or at least players who would be most comfortable playing up front, but who do not offer enough of an alternative to the first XV. Again, that wouldn't be ideal going into a QF imo.
The way the subs are named Mark Keane is obviously down as half back cover, not only did we totally underuse him in the league we now start picking him as defensive cover without ever having lined out there at competitive senior level

Happy enough with that first 15. Couple of things about the bench - it's light on defensive cover, with only O'Leary-Hayes and Millerick as out-and-out defenders. O'Connell could play at Hb, and apparent Keane played there in the challenge match against Wexford, so those two might provide extra cover. That might be fine against Antrim but it would worry me a little going into a QF.

With Tim in from that start, there are very few forwards who could offer a ball-winning alternative off the bench, especially if Cork would struggle on their own puck-outs - just Keane again, really. The bench looks a bit top-heavy with forwards, or at least players who would be most comfortable playing up front, but who do not offer enough of an alternative to the first XV. Again, that wouldn't be ideal going into a QF imo.

Come here, that’s slightly overplaying Jacks contribution so far this year, the highlight of the year is a Jack scoring 2 points late in a game that was well over? the highlight of the year has been the shift in attitude and tactics between the Clare and Waterford games. Otherwise we were gone with a game to spare
I wasn't pointing out his contribution to that particular game but more the change in his own performance he got two well taken scores compared to a couple of weeks previous when he was even struggling with the basics,barrett also came on and done similar,we need our bench firing if we are to stand any chance from here on in!

On Hoggie being left out I would imagine it's a rest he's getting and not dropped but I do think he needs to be left out of the starting 15 he hasn't been doing the business at all this year,i get people saying he has dedicating so much to cork hurling but no player on any team in any sport should warrant special treatment on account of what they've done in the past,if you want to be successful you need to pick the team on merit and he's simply not performing this year,even his placed balls have been questionable and Lehane Kingston Coleman and even Connolly are well able to hit them!

P.S I'd love nothing more than Hoggie to find a bit of form again but the legs are just simply not there anymore.

JOC was struggling with lack of confidence in the Clare game,to me I can't see how he warranted a start in that game he was so shook confidence wise...you can equally look at that game and say every single cork player on that pitch were a disgrace,I know the scoreline was false and made it look closer in the end but still only to be beaten by 2 points and not one player hurled that day for us,the most pleasing part of the championship so far has been jack coming on against Tipp and "casually" hitting those 2 points, I say casually because he didn't even want to be holding a Hurley against Clare,if we can get him going he is a major cog in our wheel
i have never seen stress on a players face on a hurling field like i saw on Jack O Connor as he came off v us

It was striking

I wasn't pointing out his contribution to that particular game but more the change in his own performance he got two well taken scores compared to a couple of weeks previous when he was even struggling with the basics,barrett also came on and done similar,we need our bench firing if we are to stand any chance from here on in!

On Hoggie being left out I would imagine it's a rest he's getting and not dropped but I do think he needs to be left out of the starting 15 he hasn't been doing the business at all this year,i get people saying he has dedicating so much to cork hurling but no player on any team in any sport should warrant special treatment on account of what they've done in the past,if you want to be successful you need to pick the team on merit and he's simply not performing this year,even his placed balls have been questionable and Lehane Kingston Coleman and even Connolly are well able to hit them!

P.S I'd love nothing more than Hoggie to find a bit of form again but the legs are just simply not there anymore.
I think that some players certainly suffered in confidence after our performances against Limerick and Clare. Changes were made in selection and also in tactics and a couple are now finding it hard to get back in. Millerick and Barrett being the two most obvious, JOC as well after Clare.

All of these players will get their chance again and hopefully can make an impact then.

Regarding Patrick Horgan, I agree that he is rested rather than dropped but I think it is part of a transitioning process as well where he is becoming a squad member rather than a certain starter.

Strong team announced.
Tim O starts, Hoggie on the bench.
Mark Keane back on the bench.
Trying to figure out who's lost their place to him.

1. Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)
  2. Damien Cahalane (St Finbarr’s)
  3. Robert Downey (Glen Rovers)
  4. Sean O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)
  5. Niall O’Leary (Castlelyons)
  6. Ciarán Joyce (Castlemartyr)
  7. Mark Coleman (Blarney) Captain
  8. Darragh Fitzgibbon (Charleville)
  9. Luke Meade (Newcestown)
  10. Robert O’Flynn (Erins Own)
  11. Séamus Harnedy (St Ita’s)
  12. Shane Kingston (Douglas)