Cork Footballers

What sort of message would bringing in a bunch of hurlers send to the current panel? Who have been training together since November. Cleary is trying to build the panel, not destroy it.

Those who have chosen hurling over football have made their bed and more luck to them. The only way that this should be entertained is if it's a permanent switch with next year and beyond in mind. Bringing hurlers onto the panel for the remainder of the summer would do significantly more harm than good...

I seen Donoghue playing with scarra last year in a few games at CF and would have no problem playing senior football for cork . Imagine if two Cahalane brothers played as well you’d add significantly to the football squad but won’t happen and I suppose would be unfair to lads who are training all year with the big ball.
Damien Cahalane could have and possibly should have been a fulcrum in Cork football defence for last 8 years. That time is gone now though. Conor Cahalane would be nowhere near county standard. Maybe you meant Jack? He is grand but if he was anywhere near it you can be sure JC would have him there already!

I'm quite certain Cleary and his selectors will not go down the route being mentioned by some of bringing in anyone. Would be a laughing stock really if they did. Brian Hayes and others made their bed, now they lie in it. Times have moved on. No player can walk in the door and be anywhere near the standard of county football these days. Nor should they be allowed in my view.

Someone mentioned Seán O'Donoghue. A fine footballer at u21 level and could have been a Cork Senior footballer if he choose. But he was never going to pick football over hurling. So all the time and resources invested in him by football and all the games he played for Cork in football, in one way was wasted when you could have had a dedicated footballer who might have been less talented but who would develop in time. This exact issue has dogged Cork football for a few years. Could list off dozens of players who played Minor/U21 football for Cork who were predominantly hurlers and jumped ship when hurling came calling. Nothing against themselves making a choice or hurling picking them either to be fair - it's up to football side to get their house in order and figure out where allegiances lie with a player by the time he's 18 at a minimum.

Damien Cahalane could have and possibly should have been a fulcrum in Cork football defence for last 8 years. That time is gone now though. Conor Cahalane would be nowhere near county standard. Maybe you meant Jack? He is grand but if he was anywhere near it you can be sure JC would have him there already!

I'm quite certain Cleary and his selectors will not go down the route being mentioned by some of bringing in anyone. Would be a laughing stock really if they did. Brian Hayes and others made their bed, now they lie in it. Times have moved on. No player can walk in the door and be anywhere near the standard of county football these days. Nor should they be allowed in my view.

Someone mentioned Seán O'Donoghue. A fine footballer at u21 level and could have been a Cork Senior footballer if he choose. But he was never going to pick football over hurling. So all the time and resources invested in him by football and all the games he played for Cork in football, in one way was wasted when you could have had a dedicated footballer who might have been less talented but who would develop in time. This exact issue has dogged Cork football for a few years. Could list off dozens of players who played Minor/U21 football for Cork who were predominantly hurlers and jumped ship when hurling came calling. Nothing against themselves making a choice or hurling picking them either to be fair - it's up to football side to get their house in order and figure out where allegiances lie with a player by the time he's 18 at a minimum.

Bingo. Anyway, we trust the management and they don't need advice in this regard..

I doubt anybody that matters is thinking about this. Our management have a panel of whom they believe to be the most committed and able footballers at this level in the county for a match v the All-Ireland champions and neighbors in 5 days time. Let's rattle that.

I'd be wary of the "made their bed, now lie in it" line for young lads deciding which sport to give up your life for and represent your county in. And I wouldn't be particularly bitter against any player wanting part of the hurling championship we've just seen compares to absolute clusterfuck of a football championship we have, especially for Cork.

But, generally I'm really not a fan of late season drop ins in that manner. If it was an eye to a permanent switch, that may be different, but that's impossible to nail down.

Im not really two interested in your opinion.
I go to every football match Mcrath Cup,League and Champ.Was in Navan sat U my friend are a hurling follower First and Foresmost please so ur comments dont really bother me.This is a Football site and Brian Hayes is a far better Footballer than hurler if he plays or not with Cork that a different matter.
As I said, one of the thickest c8nts to ever grace this forum :lol!:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Afro House and Amapiano

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼