Cork Footballers

Under Counihan Cork only played Jack O’Connor’s Kerry in one knockout match. And we lost that because our forwards shat the course.

In Munster the record was Cork 2 wins. Kerry 2 wins and 2 draws. Not a bad record me thinks.

It was Billy Morgan that Jack O’Connor got the better of.
Counihan's teams never beat Kerry in Killarney or Croke Park or in a knock-out game iirc. They only ever beat them in Cork in Muster championship games afaik.

Watching the highlights and by Christ that was some roasting Sexton gave DOM. I won’t mention the alternative options as I’ll be accused of bias but my God that was fucking brutal by OMahony. If that’s the best full back we’ve got we deserve to be in the tailteann cup.

Counihan's teams never beat Kerry in Killarney or Croke Park or in a knock-out game iirc. They only ever beat them in Cork in Muster championship games afaik.
Was true of Billy Morgan’s spell from 2004-2007 too. Beat Kerry in Killarney in 95 and not since and win over Kerry in 2020 was first knockout win over Kerry since 1999.

The Cork forwards have been shown up again for being lazy. The last point by clare proves it Corbett jogging after a player, sherlock stops running, and don't get me started on the half forward line. Why do we stick with players that aren't even a relation to a football player, eg. Deane and I maguire running straight down the middle trying to bulldoze your way through. This was a tactic 10 years ago.

Watching the highlights and by Christ that was some roasting Sexton gave DOM. I won’t mention the alternative options as I’ll be accused of bias but my God that was fucking brutal by OMahony. If that’s the best full back we’ve got we deserve to be in the tailteann cup.
Didn’t get great protection, Paul Flynn said McMahon had a great game, anyone at game would see he was allowed to dictate the attack

I’m sure most here would agree that betting on a young player off the back of multiple club successes, on top of winning Sigerson POTY last week is better than someone who couldn’t cut it for a decade

We aren’t winning AI anytime soon and if we are competing in 5 years someone of his age profile needs to learn how to mark top forwards

I know you are looking for trouble on this forum but had enough of your targeting of DOM. Yes Sexton got the better of him but you are out to get him no matter what as he doesn’t fit your agenda. No need

Didn’t get great protection, Paul Flynn said McMahon had a great game, anyone at game would see he was allowed to dictate the attack

I’m sure most here would agree that betting on a young player off the back of multiple club successes, on top of winning Sigerson POTY last week is better than someone who couldn’t cut it for a decade

We aren’t winning AI anytime soon and if we are competing in 5 years someone of his age profile needs to learn how to mark top forwards

I know you are looking for trouble on this forum but had enough of your targeting of DOM. Yes Sexton got the better of him but you are out to get him no matter what as he doesn’t fit your agenda. No need
I’m far from out to get him, read back my posts, I’ve said our best full back includes him and shanley either side of Clancy. He was shown up today, I still think he could a job in the corner but he’s not good enough (yet) to be the main man in the full back line.

Is Clare really a shock though.
They were very "unlucky" against Kildare and Dublin in the league and like ourselves a mid division 2 team ATM.
Yes today is a major setback but with the players available they fought till the end. got there when the odds were against them and then messed up having gained possession.
I think we have made some progress from last year, no risk of relegation. Lasting 70+ minutes in games now, and bringing through some younger players . We need the Deanes etc. to help these guys and they give it everything, unfortunately we're coming from a very very low base.
It will take a few years to get back but we need to give them time and support.
Not sure Rosscommon is exactly a shock either.
Actually you’re right, a first round loss to Clare is certainly progress. 👍

I’m far from out to get him, read back my posts, I’ve said our best full back includes him and shanley either side of Clancy. He was shown up today, I still think he could a job in the corner but he’s not good enough (yet) to be the main man in the full back line.
Clancy is some man if he can play full back and center back on ure team at the same time.

Must be tough to be a sub on John Cleary's panel. Meehan, Ring, Kiely, Paul Walsh, Herlihy and Cronin have flat arses from sitting on that bench, day after day. Wouldn't blame any of them for walking away.
How much are we paying Kevin Walsh from Galway?
The use of the panel has been beyond bad all year. You have to be using your subs in the modern game, even if lads aren't going bad, to keep the energy up.

Mother of fuck , why are people blaming the County Board. This team has gotten fucking everything. Slowing down play, hitting a fella , playing a half forward who can score. Basic Tackling and a Kickout Strategy is not the fault of Kevin o'Donovan.

It's obvious from looking at the Cork football teams over the last few years, the players just aren't good enough. It doesn't matter how much money gets pumped into the team. It's disappointing but not suprising we lost today.

The CCB have done alot of restructuring in Cork Gaa over the last 10 years (Rebel Og, Development Squads, championship restructuring, grading restructuring, proposed divisional restructuring etc)

We talk up how good out club championships are but in reality they're a poor standard. Having 24 Senior teams, 24 Intermediate teams and now 12 Junior teams might be producing close competitive games but it isn't improving the standards. And I don't see this changing. Is all this restructuring working and producing more quality senior intercounty players?

Donovan was the looking for Directors of Football & Hurling and I assume he appointed Counihan.
Counihan has been Director of Football for 4 years. Can anyone show what he has achieved in this time?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼