Cork Footballers

I doubt counhihan is the issue, a man who led us to our last all ireland
it's not one issue - it's issues and he is not fixing them.
as for a man who led us to our last all Ireland - i know a few players who played under him in the noughties - i remember asking them about games against kerry - all of them have said Jack O'Connor outsmarted him every time it mattered - i don't want to go full on fox leary but........

if he is not responsible for elite player development and ultimately the performance of our intercounty teams as Project Co-ordinator cork football what is he responsible for? I'd like a job like that - run a few blitzes and coaching courses

according to the 5 year plan the project co-ordinator
plays a key role in the appointment of management teams at IC level - id argue these have been mixed
helps build a synergised approach to how our teams play - i'll be fucked if i know what that is - the only approach i can think of is playing 2 midfielders in the half forward line - he is obsessed with getting as many midfielders in a team as he can
act as a liaison with colleges, schools and other agencies that play a role in the development of cork football (what exactly is he doing - we dont have a problem with numbers/participation it's the quality of player - contributors on this forum have complained about the lack of support for football in PP schools from the co board)

His job spec when advertised included
  • Responsibility for the implementation of the five-year plan for Cork football (FFS he was one of the people who wrote this) This is my favourite part of his job spec - as per the plan (which he wrote)
    Cork will be regular contenders in all grades of intercounty football.........within 3 to 5 years (he has nailed this (our minors and 20s get past kerry and then badly beaten)). A clear player development pathway will be created by the end of 2019, producing a regular supply of quality footballers within the next 5 years (how does bringing back players who were not previously good enough fit into this). High quality coaches with a strong focus on developing the fundamental skills of the games will be available.....by the end of 2024 -( so many of our underage players lack basic kicking and catching skills)
  • Acting as a conduit between clubs, schools and elite football teams; (if this is not with a view to coaching and player development - what is it????)
  • Contributing to the appointment of inter-county football management teams;
  • Working with other Cork GAA staff and volunteers to develop a synergised approach to how Cork football teams prepare and play; (as i said above)
  • Providing support as required to inter-county football management teams -( what exactly is he doing here??)
I don't see how he can Pontius Pilate the performance of our IC teams and the quality of player developed. .

To say cork football was poor/inconsistent in the past is fine - but he wrote the 5 year plan - called for a co-ordinator and applied for the role which was created to help move away from the inconsistency of the past

The best centre back in the county was sitting at home on his arse in Clonakilty. Maguire isn’t fit to lace Clancy’s boots and anyone who has seen the football Clancy’s played since he returned to his club will tell you the same. Laughable decision making by management.
Played skibbereen 🤣. And played kanturk missing over half a team with cork.

Absolutely appalling result. As Trav said, I’m glad no one was associated with this mess.

If I’m Kevin ODonovan I’m getting down on my hands and knees and begging Haulie ONeill to take over this rabble because Cleary hasn’t a notion.

I wouldn’t be holding out much hope, Cork football has been failed by administrators for decades.

Anyone care to explain what exactly Clown-ihan has achieved in his new role? Or what exactly he’s meant to be doing?
Haulie couldn’t win the county with a clon team riddled with “talent”. How could you give him the job

Against a very poor O'Donovan Rossa team and half a Kanturk team, settle down

I'd def like your keeper to be up there if you can sort that it would be great, thanks
I’d like nothing more than to see Mark White back with Cork but it’s not gonna happen.

Clancy was willing but management felt it wasn’t worthwhile persisting with him.

I agree Kanturk and Skibb aren’t the bar when it comes to intercounty but I’m not exaggerating when I say multiple people have said he was head and shoulders above every other player, like watching a grown man playing an underage game.

I say this with all my admitted Clon bias aside, it would break your heart as a Cork man to think we could have had Clancy in centre back but instead we had a no hoper like Maguire there.

it's not one issue - it's issues and he is not fixing them.
as for a man who led us to our last all Ireland - i know a few players who played under him in the noughties - i remember asking them about games against kerry - all of them have said Jack O'Connor outsmarted him every time it mattered - i don't want to go full on fox leary but........

if he is not responsible for elite player development and ultimately the performance of our intercounty teams as Project Co-ordinator cork football what is he responsible for? I'd like a job like that - run a few blitzes and coaching courses

according to the 5 year plan the project co-ordinator
plays a key role in the appointment of management teams at IC level - id argue these have been mixed
helps build a synergised approach to how our teams play - i'll be fucked if i know what that is - the only approach i can think of is playing 2 midfielders in the half forward line - he is obsessed with getting as many midfielders in a team as he can
act as a liaison with colleges, schools and other agencies that play a role in the development of cork football (what exactly is he doing - we dont have a problem with numbers/participation it's the quality of player - contributors on this forum have complained about the lack of support for football in PP schools from the co board)

His job spec when advertised included
  • Responsibility for the implementation of the five-year plan for Cork football (FFS he was one of the people who wrote this) This is my favourite part of his job spec - as per the plan (which he wrote)
    Cork will be regular contenders in all grades of intercounty football.........within 3 to 5 years (he has nailed this (our minors and 20s get past kerry and then badly beaten)). A clear player development pathway will be created by the end of 2019, producing a regular supply of quality footballers within the next 5 years (how does bringing back players who were not previously good enough fit into this). High quality coaches with a strong focus on developing the fundamental skills of the games will be available.....by the end of 2024 -( so many of our underage players lack basic kicking and catching skills)
  • Acting as a conduit between clubs, schools and elite football teams; (if this is not with a view to coaching and player development - what is it????)
  • Contributing to the appointment of inter-county football management teams;
  • Working with other Cork GAA staff and volunteers to develop a synergised approach to how Cork football teams prepare and play; (as i said above)
  • Providing support as required to inter-county football management teams -( what exactly is he doing here??)
I don't see how he can Pontius Pilate the performance of our IC teams and the quality of player developed. .

To say cork football was poor/inconsistent in the past is fine - but he wrote the 5 year plan - called for a co-ordinator and applied for the role which was created to help move away from the inconsistency of the past
Great post. The man is well intentioned and no doubt a good guy but he is utterly inept and should be answerable for the state we’re in.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼