Cork Footballers

I always wonder about the utility of bringing back older players, does it ever really work out? At least 2 younger players won’t be on the squad, a squad that is in the foothills of becoming more competitive …..we’ll see I suppose

Daniel O Mahony will be the Cork Full Back.Clancy had his day was a good player not great is now 2 old time to move on.Clon have 1 very good player Liam O Don that it.
If Clancy is back on the panel, I can guarantee you one thing, he’ll have the number 3 on his back, not Daniel OMahony. Could see himself and Shanley either side of Clancy though, with Kevin ODonovan moving to the half back line.

rebel boy

I understand John Cooper will be available after Christmas, whether he's selected then for the panel is the issue.

Kevin Flahive shouldn't be available until later in the league alright.

Paul Ring has been involved long enough to develop and hasn't, imho his ship has sailed but I hope I'm wrong. Shane Merritt way off it, too lightweight and Tommy Walsh should get game time but I'd rather see him start with the U-20's first in his last year at that level.

Dagame

You seem to forget most of us have seen Brian O'Driscoll play senior inter-county before and then he lacked the right attitude and was without discipline big time. He is now a good few years older and hopefully matured but should be slower or less sharp for this level.
John Cooper is coming home for Christmas but returning back to in the USA in January . A big decision for the young lad but there is more to life than GAA. Sad to loose him a great talent. Best of luck to him

Rob Heffernan is on board now as performance coach. He was Chef de mission for the Olympics team in 2021 if I recall? Not exactly the coaching pedigree of a Gary Keegan, but probably one of the highest performance athletes in any sport Cork has ever produced, and pretty much entirely self driven/coached at that, so I'd consider it a very positive move.

Rob Heffernan is on board now as performance coach. He was Chef de mission for the Olympics team in 2021 if I recall? Not exactly the coaching pedigree of a Gary Keegan, but probably one of the highest performance athletes in any sport Cork has ever produced, and pretty much entirely self driven/coached at that, so I'd consider it a very positive move.
Christ don't be to positive , some fellas here want to wallow in Depression and are frothing at the mouth at watching a Cork team "battling " relegation" where they couldn't name 5 players from the lovely comfort of Twitter next year.

They will be in the Pairc Doe eyed when the Dubs come to town!

Not quite accurate Rob was coached early in his career by Paco Fernández.

He only started coaching himself when Fernandez got popped for PEDs. But it was Paco's system.

He was never chef de mission. There was a wan from hockey last time and Sonia in 2012 and 2016.

But you're right he's a good appointment. Has a world class group of athletes training out of cork. Has coached Percy Karlstrom to 2 medals at world level. Paul Robinson has said he helped him come back from injury to win national 1500m. Itd say he's as good as it gets on the mental side of things.

John Cooper is coming home for Christmas but returning back to in the USA in January . A big decision for the young lad but there is more to life than GAA. Sad to loose him a great talent. Best of luck to him
I thought John had a great championship year in 2022, and held promise of a good bit more. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Would love to see him back at some time in future.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Muireann Bradley
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

3rd Apr 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Cinder Well

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼