Cork Footballers

Yupp and redrebel123

I'm not doubting Merritt's level of fitness but he certainly needs to be far more robust at inter-county level based on this years league campaign. With Killian O'Hanlon and Paul Walsh both out injured and Walsh returning and then getting red carded v Limerick Shane Merritt didn't figure, with both guys fully fit not to mind the defenders returning will Shane Merritt definitely make the 25?

rebel boy

C26 has answered your question to me really as Peter Cunningham is a player I would look at along with his fellow clubman and teamate Adam Hennessy, these two guys have serious energy and deserve the opportunity to see do they have what it takes at the top level. Colm O'Donovan of Newcestown is a player I'd look at for corner-back. There are loads of players good enough but are they committed to the cause such as Mark White and Sean Wilson who are 2 who come to mind.

intothewest

You are spot on! Peter Cunningham was wing-back wearing No. 7 when St. Michaels defeated Nemo to win the Minor County Final in 2018. Adam Hennessy was Man of the Match and AFAIR didn't make the Cork minor panel. Robbie Cotter also played in attack and Alan Connolly was a sub.
Saw him playing a Sigerson League game and he looks v strong, all I was getting at is physically I don’t think he has much more room to put size on without having negative effects on the rest of his game.

Fairly sure Colm O Donovan reinjured his ankle prior to surgery this year and hence still rehabbing- great prospect he has performed well against many top club players

Cunnigham has pace so could be an option but I don’t think Hennessy is close. And you are correct, he didn’t make the minor panel but under slightly different circumstances. His year of minor was the 2000 team which lost out to a full year because of the age change. So essentially he failed to make it at u17 - maybe he had improved a lot by the time he reached u18.

Cronin, B Murphy, J Murphy, Mark Keane, Daniel O Mahony would have all played both u18 and u17 for Cork that year. Surprising as if the u17s carried a panel that didn’t include those 5, you’d think he’d be a guaranteed member of the remaining 35

Any word on Luke Connolly or Michael Hurley any 1 have the full panel?
Connolly was called and declined to opt in afaik

Cork1990 agreed - Mayo / Galway benefitting now from backing youth 2/3 years ago. Roscommon falling away from them by Cunnigham not adding much young lads to core panel. We cannot end up in a similar situation. After so many debuts last year for us, to drop them for players we know aren’t up to the top grade of IC football anymore (and certainly won’t be in 3 years) would be ludicrous.

I’d imagine Cleary will be thinking this way anyway. Cork are a work in progress in terms of S&C to crawl back towards D1, any short-term gains they bring only hurt us in the long run. Nothing against either of them but that’s just how it is, a young mans game nowadays.

With respects to Deane and O Driscoll not sure its a good move bringing them back ...we do have younger talent .
Big mistake from Cleary to bring both back. Neither will offer anything, not even a short term fix.

If Cleary wanted 2 guys at the peak of their powers who could give us some solidity for 3/4 years then he should have made the call to Sean White and Thomas Clancy. Madness.

Big mistake from Cleary to bring both back. Neither will offer anything, not even a short term fix.

If Cleary wanted 2 guys at the peak of their powers who could give us some solidity for 3/4 years then he should have made the call to Sean White and Thomas Clancy. Madness.
Deane has done more on an Inter County pitch than these 2 combined and that's a fact. He won't be starting but will be good Squad player and is worth his place. Too many Armchair Generals here who won't be down the Pairc this Winter watching these players but are "experts" going on hearsay in the local pub. I put my trust in John Cleary .

Heard Sean White won't be available for Clon next year - going working abroad/travelling

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Robot Dreams (G)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

23rd Apr 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Soviet Milk (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼