Cork Footballers

It largely had nothing to do with midfield. Most of them went short.

In the first half Cork didn’t push up enough men so were outnumbered and Limerick just kicked to the spare man. In the second half Cork pushed up but went man to man. Limerick stood everyone centrally and broke out to the sides. The forwards did a bad job of defending it.

If you give a good team that platform then we will be annihilated.

Good analysis, Shabby.

I thought that in many cases we let a runner come unmarked from midfield, and in the other cases we had enough men but we weren't alert enough and allowed the LK man to get a few yards space to get a simple short kick-out.

Then, as you say, Limerick went to the bunch kick-out and we stood shoulder-to-shoulder with them rather than outside them to steal a march when they broke.

My stats at the game had us down for winning no LK kick-out, a friend reckons we won a break of one of their long ones.
Either way, I agree - we'll get hosed unless we solve this in the next two weeks.

It largely had nothing to do with midfield. Most of them went short.

In the first half Cork didn’t push up enough men so were outnumbered and Limerick just kicked to the spare man. In the second half Cork pushed up but went man to man. Limerick stood everyone centrally and broke out to the sides. The forwards did a bad job of defending it.

If you give a good team that platform then we will be annihilated.
That's the point. We're not competing on the kick outs. It doesn't matter what team or tactic we face, the result is the same.

Good analysis, Shabby.

I thought that in many cases we let a runner come unmarked from midfield, and in the other cases we had enough men but we weren't alert enough and allowed the LK man to get a few yards space to get a simple short kick-out.

Then, as you say, Limerick went to the bunch kick-out and we stood shoulder-to-shoulder with them rather than outside them to steal a march when they broke.

My stats at the game had us down for winning no LK kick-out, a friend reckons we won a break of one of their long ones.
Either way, I agree - we'll get hosed unless we solve this in the next two weeks.
What a lot of teams do now is push everyone up one line, the keeper marks a forward and you have a +1 in attack to defend the kickout to force the opposition long. It’s brave but worth it. We’ve also seen the zonal approach whereby the keeper is even used to cover a zone around midfield. All the good teams are using at least one of these.

We are facing an uphill task against any of the potential 3 teams next weekend but we haven’t a hope it we give any of them that platform to attack.

In fact I would say we may as well have done a Louth on it(everyone back without thinking) for the way we did it in the first half. Forwards need to do a better job at tagging their men if they’re going to go man to man.

Good analysis, Shabby.

From The Sunday game’s stats:

Limerick went short on 23 of their 28 kick-outs. The rest went long and they won all of them as well.

Cork went short on 13 of their 28 kick-outs winning 100% of their short ones. They struggled on the long kick-outs and won just 8 out of the 15 or 53% of them.

Jesus.
That's a frightening stat.
It's something to work on but the potential midfielders we will face in the quarters will make Limerick look like Junior B
We’re halfway to nowhere with our current kick-out strategy. Not only are we not competing for primary possession, but we’re also open at the back, because we have committed five/six players into the opposition’s half. Limerick scored 1-9 directly off their kick-outs today.

Hope we try something different in the quarter final. Either commit a lot of numbers to the opposition half and go for a 10/11 man zonal-press, or withdraw the entire forward line to midfield to protect the defense and place some traps for the defenders coming out with the ball.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Gay Agenda

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼