Cork Footballers

I sat behind the Cork bench. It's very difficult to play in the half forward in this cork setup. They are coached to play behind our half backs defending and the make a 70 m dash forward when cork win back the ball.Also they are frowned upon if they attempt a 35m+ kick point attempt. Eoin McSweeney had a good attempt in the first half and went wide.Management weren't happy about it. I think our half back line are the key to us getting scores.
The half backs don’t carry any scoring threat. Taylor had numerous chances today and just kept it simple. O’Mahony may not have actually even touched the ball while Sherlock and Hurley often had to come deep to get involved.

When teams sit deep like that you either break fast and direct to full forward line before cover gets back. Otherwise you get shooters out to the 45 and try pick holes in the system. We don’t have enough scoring threat aside from the full forward line. Today proved it. It’s not just threat, it’s invention. Someone to unlock a defence.

We will likely be underdogs in the next game which makes it an easier game to approach. I’d have taken any win today before it. We aren’t so poor that we’ve no hope in the next round but we should look to tweak our attacking options.

The half backs don’t carry any scoring threat. Taylor had numerous chances today and just kept it simple. O’Mahony may not have actually even touched the ball while Sherlock and Hurley often had to come deep to get involved.

When teams sit deep like that you either break fast and direct to full forward line before cover gets back. Otherwise you get shooters out to the 45 and try pick holes in the system. We don’t have enough scoring threat aside from the full forward line. Today proved it. It’s not just threat, it’s invention. Someone to unlock a defence.

We will likely be underdogs in the next game which makes it an easier game to approach. I’d have taken any win today before it. We aren’t so poor that we’ve no hope in the next round but we should look to tweak our attacking options.
Brian Hurley is still our best scoring threat. I have never figured out why brother Michael was dropped from panel!

I wouldn’t be over critical of cork today. The way Louth setup they were only hoping to live off turnovers. Cork did well for 80% of the game but at times made silly decisions running into the blanket. Taylor runs down blind alleys far too
much. We didn’t transfer the ball quick enough across the 45m line in attack to take advantage of the space available. Brian Hayes a serious option at 10/12. Would also like to see someone at 11 who can kick more. Agree completely that Mickey Harte should never be allowed manage a football team ever again. It was a job fairly well done in tough conditions which suited Louth. O Hanlon, Corbett might be in the mix for the next day too.

Shocking stuff from Louth, all men behind the ball and wouldn't engage unless Cork came inside the 45. Cork were their own worst enemy and didn't start running at them until well into the second half. Hayes had to come out the field to get on the ball, calling for it inside but no one would take the risk of playing it into him.

Sherlock and Hurley played well and are natural ball players but overall hard to watch!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼