Cork Footballers

“Ian Maguire and Sean Powter probably shouldn’t have been out there at all but they led the thing and I think the other lads rowed in behind it, so while we were well beaten we’d have to be, I wouldn’t say happy with the display, but proud with the way the lads put their bodies on the line”

Clearly after the game

Vital we keep this bunch together and build, add in Meehan, likes of Shanley, Hartnett, Gore, Callaghan, young guys getting another season under their belts, likes of Corbett, Buckley, Walsh to join in. This group has the leaders, help is on the way. If its run properly we should be back well inside Top 10 in 2 or 3 years hopefully.

“Ian Maguire and Sean Powter probably shouldn’t have been out there at all but they led the thing and I think the other lads rowed in behind it, so while we were well beaten we’d have to be, I wouldn’t say happy with the display, but proud with the way the lads put their bodies on the line”

Clearly after the game
Both were in the wars and both really led the way as he said. It’s no coincidence we ran out of steam when they ran out of steam.

The key for everyone now is to make a real fist of the qualifiers and not just fall away to nothing. But we won’t go very far without kickout plan if I’m honest. It just doesn’t guarantee us enough possession of our own restart. No good team would allow it.

The good things include the likes of Shanley being able to man mark top forwards and Mahony up front has plenty about him to worry teams. Think we can get more out of the two half forwards who are a bit light.

Fair play to the all involved with the rebels today. They gave it a real effort and as I said in a previous post we needed 50/ 50 calls to go our way to keep in touch . However To a man they performed fair play lads Well done . We have a foundation to build on they have all taken flak and its so easy just fold up . But ye showed the rest of the country This kerry team are over rated and vulnerable. Hon the rebels

Very encouraging performance. The improvements in both the defensive and attacking shapes are impressive, so fair play to John Cleary. A lot to build upon. Maguire and Cooper were great on their first championship starts.

Only negatives were our Kick-outs. Kerry were only committing 3 players to the full-forward line for most of the first-half and second-half. It’s easy to say from the stands, but both keepers should really have been going short on 80% of the kick-outs, as we usually had five players in the full-back line to Kerry’s three players. We need to find keepers who have the courage to go for the short option, and we need to find defenders who make those short kick-outs easier for the keepers by making runs to collect the kick-outs while on the run. On the longer kick-outs we need to be doing a better job at finding mismatches in size or speed, and isolating players with those mismatches.

For god sake find a goalie that can kick out the ball accurately. It’s the most important play in football and it’s scandalous that we don’t recognise this and prepare for it. It was the singular biggest problem we had today - it cost us a good few points.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼