Cork Footballers

I will say it again the list of injured players we have and it continues has to be questioned why is it happening look at Kerry and other very few injured we have as pointed out tonight upwards on 15 out ...we would i would guess hold our own easy enough in div 2 if all our players were fit to play ...

Interesting to see comparisons with Stephen Kenny here. Kenny has a system he believes in, and hopefully Ricken does too.

Having said that, maybe more could have been done to keep older players for this year to bring a degree of stability.

O’Mahony didn’t play sigerson for UCC because he couldn’t make anything this year, no other reason from my understanding. Very interesting to see Mark Cronin kick the last free against Clare and not get a minute since, that to me is bizarre as whether or not I rate him, how can that responsibility be put on him and then not a single minute after.

This team badly needs a mark Collins and a real, teak tough centre back. Haven’t seen anything to suggest that the team can do without or is too good to include Thomas Clancy, Mark Collins, Stephen Cronin, Mark Ellis, Chris Òg Jones, Michael Hurley or a number of others. Not to mention Luke Connolly.

Interesting to see that the people who clamoured for billy Hennessy’s inclusion are gone quiet, the man hadn’t played football for 2 years, has played 4 matches at club level and didn’t kick the football once. Unfair expectations seem par for the course here.

Impressed with sherlock today, he doesn’t pretend to be a ball winner but he could easily be a Paul Mannion style player for Cork on the loop if people were patient. The bench today was, in my opinion, the weakest Cork bench I have ever seen at minor, u21 or senior in hurling or football.

I will say it again the list of injured players we have and it continues has to be questioned why is it happening look at Kerry and other very few injured we have as pointed out tonight upwards on 15 out ...we would i would guess hold our own easy enough in div 2 if all our players were fit to play ...
What would be your team then if those fit players were available of those on the current panel?

I have suspected for awhile too many of our players drop off their inter county standard S&C work when they are not in with Cork.

Come back in around Christmas, have to go up through the gears too fast and the bodies are breaking down. I really really hope this autumn we absolutely nail it down and see if it is the cause.

What would be your team then if those fit players were available of those on the current panel?
Not my team but the following are out injured....i use Martin as a goalie as he did not start tonight

Michael Martin
Maurice Shanley Kieran Histon Nathan Walsh
Liam O Donovan Sean Powter Aidan Browne
Killian O Hanlon Paul Walsh
Brian Hayes Conor O Callaghan Brian Hartnett
Damien Gore Brian Hurley Cathail O Mahony also out injured are Diarmuid Phelan and Chris Og Jones... Conor Corbett.
Not a bad list of players .

Not my team but the following are out injured....i use Martin as a goalie as he did not start tonight

Michael Martin
Maurice Shanley Kieran Histon Nathan Walsh
Liam O Donovan Sean Powter Aidan Browne
Killian O Hanlon Paul Walsh
Brian Hayes Conor O Callaghan Brian Hartnett
Damien Gore Brian Hurley Cathail O Mahony also out injured are Diarmuid Phelan and Chris Og Jones... Conor Corbett.
Not a bad list of players .
I agree it’s not a bad list of players. Straight off the bat I would say:
- the keeper listed has been criticised by every person on here for his kickouts.
- there is no back there to mark a marquee forward, but as a 6 they are definitely better than what was out there.
- midfielders listed without Ian Maguire next to them are not intercounty standard.
- only half the forwards, namely O’Mahony, Hayes and Hurley (in my opinion) of the forwards are intercounty standard,. Hartnett is unprofessional, loose, ill-disciplined and untidy in general, but his physique is perfect for intercounty with a small bit of development. Can’t count conor Corbett in the discussion as he is on course to be another Cathal vaughan, never fit, flashes of talent at underage.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jack L
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Thursday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 6:30pm

More events ▼