Cork Footballers

I'd be more a football supporter than a hurling supporter. More Cork people support the hurling team than support the football team, and complaining about those supporters achieves nothing. (aside: I wasn't there myself so a charge could as fairly be leveled against me)

I've no doubt that the Cork Footballers would love more support, and would likely thrive from it. Thank the supporters we have, and tell the others that we'd love to have ye supporting us too & leave it at that.

In the short term, there does need to be a change at administration level. Why organize a double-header like this when it's entirely predictable that a very significant portion of the Cork crowd will be walking out in advance of the football match, and a portion of who remain will actually be relatively indifferent to the result? It really rubs it in. I think men's/women's football double headers should be tried. The same problem might occur, but it might not, so it seems at least worth trying.
That is a far more reasoned post than the previous posts claiming that they aren't "true Cork supporters".

That Clare side are much more settled and to be fair to Colm Collins he has them playing some decent stuff.

Agree on the keeper situation, surely we have a keeper with a better kickout than Martin. White is a massive loss with his distance and accuracy. Is Kelly's kickout any better than Martin's, havent seen much of him playing so cant judge him on that.

The backs look to be settling down and hopefully with the additions of Meehan and Sam Ryan coming back in that'll strengthen us up, our forward line is the bigger issue. We seem to have an awful amount of similar type forwards, fast, small who like to playing a running game rather than kick it into space and feed off a target man. Hopefully getting Sherlock back in will take the burden off Hurley but other than those twoat the minute I couldnt tell you who'll start in the other four spots the next day out
Clare are definitely in a far more settled position than us with Collins doing a good job building a decent side. When I saw their team I actually thought we’d be beaten if I’m honest. We have to credit the young lads for showing some guts to claim a draw and probably should have won.

I would say 90% of the adult keepers in Cork can kick it longer than Martin. The game is actually after becoming more long ball based again after a spell of shorter, slower play. Teams are now kicking long to beat the cover. Northern teams in particular are adapting to this. Armagh kick a lot of ball and Tyrone did lots of it in winning the All Ireland. The ability to vary it is key. At the moment we can’t vary it with Martin. Starting every play on your own 20 is tough to do for a full game and teams get men back easier.

I wouldn’t be so sure about the backs being overly settled. We conceded a fair bit on a very bad night. The full back line needs to be able to go man to man without needing a sweeper or two all the time for help. Again, this is how the game is gone now. The good sides aren’t being too defensive. We are too reliant on Hurley up front but at least the management are trying to get forwards in the forward positions.

Important fortnight ahead, hopefully more players return to the pitch this week and the management can fully utilise the break to integrate them and help the younger players learn from 1st two games - I think two wins will keep us up now, to get one against the head would be massive.

From the outside I feel the set up could do with a quiet week, constant news about big players deciding not to rejoin panel for 2022, some players being left out & injury updates must be a massive distraction.

Last edited:
Now that Mark Keanes club hurling journey is over for the moment is there any chance of him switching back to the footballers. I always thought it was a bit ‘out of order’ the way KK signed him up for the hurlers just in case. Surely he has more potential to contribute with the big ball…football shouldn’t be behind like this case shows..

Now that Mark Keanes club hurling journey is over for the moment is there any chance of him switching back to the footballers. I always thought it was a bit ‘out of order’ the way KK signed him up for the hurlers just in case. Surely he has more potential to contribute with the big ball…football shouldn’t be behind like this case shows..
Give us Brian Hayes and ye can have Mark Keane 😀

Shur, there is no chance that it was the players own choice that he wanted play hurling over football, ffs.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Danny Ryan, and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼