Cork Footballers

Will the MTU lads be available? Maguire, Ring, and O Connell
Playing UUJ on Wednesday in Dublin, if they win then they have quarter final the following week so will depend on that I suppose. Going to be tough going for them with star forward Damien Gore out injured now.

kelly
Ring- flahive- Corkery
Maguire-Powter-Taylor
O’callaghan-hartnett
O’Connell-Collins -o’donovan
Cronin-hurley-dineen

I’m presuming gore and Meehan are both injured?

Martin
Brian Murphy (on panel?)
Crowley
Fionn herlihy
Paul Walsh
Cian kiely
Joe grimes
Og jones
Blake Murphy
Buckley

Last edited:
team now !
Michael Martin
Sean Powter Kieran Histon {if fit} Paul Ring
Rory Maguire Mattie Taylor Tadgh Corkery
Paul Walsh Colm O Callaghan
Kevin O Donovan Blake Murphy Daniel O Connell
Mark Cronin Brian Hurley Dano Dineen

Just going on who is not injured...i think and if Histon i think he did ok yestrday is not fit i have no idea who to play at 3 !
What has blake murphy done to merit starting. He should of been taken off at the water break the last day. He was brutal. Its bad when 3 or 4 of the other starting forwards where fucking him out of while he was on.

If everyone is fit:
Kelly

Flahive Meehan Shanley

Maguire Powter Taylor

Maguire Hanlon

Collins Buckley Dineen
Sherlock
Hurley Jones

Kelly has a better kickout than Martin. Sam Ryan possibly an option for corner back over Flahive. Maguire is unproven but so far he’s been good and others are proven to be bad. I still wouldn’t trust that defence. It’s a pity we don’t have a few more Meehans.

Hanlon will be a huge addition to midfield as he is powerful and can play. All the forwards can kick the football which is a start. I think Sherlock could be a good player between the lines where he might pick up softer ball. We know he’s deadly with it. Getting it to him might be hard. Jones had a poor outing yesterday by all accounts but he is rapid and pace scares defenders. Dineen has played midfield for Cork underage so wing forward might be right up his street.

I don’t think that team would beat Kerry but it would win us the league we are in IMO.

The assumption most people on the thread seem to make is that we have the players that can compete with the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone etc - but we get nowhere because our management is rubbish.

By the time 2022 is finished, we may have to revisit that assumption...
I think what people are saying is that if we hadnt been mismanaged so badly for a decade now we could be competing at the top table. Nobody is saying we should be winning All-Irelands. From 2008-2012 we had one of our best ever teams and with proper management we could have remained competitive in the years that followed. Its a long road back from where we are now. In 2003/4 after losing to Fermanagh and Limerick it took 4 or 5 years and needed some of our best ever players.

Fair play Shabby. That's really thinking outside the box.
I wonder if O Hanlon is recovered enough for League duty? Otherwise I like that team and agree totally
with the placing of Dineen who is a talented footballer and can kick the bloody thing.

Fair play Shabby. That's really thinking outside the box.
I wonder if O Hanlon is recovered enough for League duty? Otherwise I like that team and agree totally
with the placing of Dineen who is a talented footballer and can kick the bloody thing.
I might have forgotten someone there. The panel is so big currently that it’s hard to remember everyone.

Hanlon is probably another while off but I’d like to think he might see the end of the league. He is a very good player for Cork. He is strong and can play.

As a team that really is short on high quality man markers we have to try use attack as the best form of defence. That means we need to try get more scoring forwards on the pitch.

AFAIK these are the 19 players that you omitted Shabby.
Ciaran O Sullivan, Nathan Walsh, Brian Hartnett, Fionn Herlihy, Eanna O Hanlon, Diarmuid Phelan,
Brian Hayes, Brian Murphy, Paul Walsh, Tadg Corkery, Cian Kiely, Kevin O Donovan, Colm O Callaghan,
Mark Cronin, Paul Ring, Shane Merritt, Daniel O Connell, Kevin Crowley. Damien Gore (Inj)

These are the 7 players that have left the panel for one reason or another and may return later?
Daniel O Mahony, Cathal O Mahony, Sean White, Mark White, Liam O Donovan, Billy Hennessy and Tadg Deasy.

The team to play Roscommon will no doubt be a mixture of your team and a few from the above 19. They might try Dineen at No 10 or 12 and we can see your theory tested?

There is some being overly pessimistic, some are way too optimistic here in my own view. I must say, some of the players that get mentioned or some of the possible teams that get thrown out here to be quite honest are batshit. Matty Taylor at 6 or Powter, Kevin Crowley corner back etc. If their own clubs don't play them there, why the hell would you think of putting them there at a higher level?
The best thing to say is just to recognise Ricken and co have a tough job on their hands as there's a big gulf in conditioning, skills and experience to the top teams right now. So ignore yesterdays result to a degree and just let the management get the panel sorted, address some of the issues, sort a system of play that suits, figure things out a bit.

Maguire and Hayes, maybe Sherlock and Ryan also - from Barrs will be of use you possibly when they come back. Maguire is beyond essential as I'm not seeing much in the way of midfield options that look up to the level. Bit disappointing hearing some of the players that were asked and turned it down. David Lowney and the White brothers are certainly ones Ricken would have hoped to have I would think. It could make a hard job even harder.

All this being said there is enough talent there that with a bit more work survival or better in Division 2 should be attainable. Cork should be a Division 1 team of course really but we're probably now seeing the consequences of a few years of an approach to the Cork Senior footballers that could be termed inadequate at best, moronic maybe at the worst times?

Maguire, Powter, Meehan, Brian Hurley are all good inter county players if fit. There is a cohort then who are potentially good or better: Brian Hayes, Rory Maguire has impressed me, Blake Murphy, Chris óg, Jack Cahalane, Conor Corbett when he returns, Danno Dineen possibly, Cathal O'Mahony if he can stay fit. Few others possibly. Problems with goalie if Mark White isn't there and midfield unless Brian Hayes does the job with his club colleague. Big issues in defence too. Likes of Ring, Cooper and Maguire have potential if they can improve a few things. Ring fouls too much. Cooper has had the luxury of playing in a club system that allows him to attack all the time and not defend very much. He will have seen in recent games that this isn't always going to work well. I think with a bit of work he is capable of being effective though.
Could go on and on, but most sensible people will realise there's a big job to be done and just let the management at it now.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼