Cork Footballers

Great reporting as usual Pa.We didn't get the tough game that Thinkstoomuch from Boards was expecting!Kerry next and you can never beat them often enough in anything.It's great to hear that Fintan Gould, the two Thomas Clancys,the two lad's in midfield and Noel Galvin in particular played well.Ideally you would like to see 4 or 5 players push on from these games and get themselves in contention for some game time in the league.

Here is Thinkstoomuch's take on todays events.

Another game in Mallow ,a splendid ptich again.Mallow GAA had asked for the game to be delayed a half hour until the heavy rain abated,but as far as I am aware,Cork refused.
And rightfully so,the ptich was fine,no water retention,bar by the sideline,so just play the game.
Mallow are going a bit over the top,if they want to wrap the ptich in cotton wool .I remember going to Na piarsaigh v Newtown in the league and the match was called of last minute.The ptich was perfectly playable that saturday.
The good news was there was match programmes today .

I watched Ul warm up in the top ptich at the other side of the main one across the road,and even though it was a make shift team ,the intensity of the drills under Kearns and he doesnt do laid back was great to watch,its easy to see why he is a top coach.

I then had a look at our set up.I wasnt greatly impressed to be honest,our set up was asking the players to do certain things ,i got the sense than,actually demanding it.Very nicey,nicey ,clap of the stuff.I feared that,as none of the selectors have a real presnce in management.You do not ask at intercounty,you demand and expect.

This game was not as tough as I thought,but as I posted at the start of the game,Ul had a few missing with Dessie moyne,ian burke,Mcnamee,o Connor,neville ,o meare etc out.As I said in the preview ,it was on the basis of Ul fielding a strong side,anything less and it would be a less of a challenge.
At least with Kerry when they name the team,we know that will be the team midweek,and it will be the same team starting at sunday at 2pm.

In the game itself,Sexton and o Sullivan did seem to be vocal which was good to see.
Early yet,but I wasnt inspired by Don davis.Too laid back.Driving home,i heard him being interviewed,and I was not impressed.It was all talk of lets put the shoulder to the wheel,hope for the best and we will see what we can do.That talk is ,uninspiring ,and in common with what normally managers that are unsuccessful say ,hope for the best.Time will tell.

Ken was very good in goal,contary to the myth he has no distance in kickouts ,he showed today he has.I had said he was there to command the backline and he done that,constantly telling them to keep shape.
Mclouhlin good going forward and did not fare badly against o rourke ,but he was suspect at times,and people must remember o rourke is not at home in the corner,he lacks the wizardy of a corner forward.Much more home at half forward.

Clancy done okay ,wasnt tested by o shea,but was immense going forward ,had a goal chance well saved by the keeper,drove forward made one goal,and comfortable on the ball.A real possibilty with others at half back.Wont stay at full,too much football for there.
Noel galvin had the job of marking ,o donoughue,and while he did take time to settle,jesus he did brillant.He was tight,fast ,tenacious and tough.Compare hes display to mcloughin ,and who they marked,it like comparing apples and organes.
Galvin is a leading contender for no4.Superb.

Loughrey very good,held whyte well.
Gould was brillant,balanced attack and defense very well,and got a super point late on,to show the confidence he has playing anywhere bar a forward.

Kevin o driscoll,done good ,but probably a few ahead of him for half back.
Laoire was superb,great work rate,kickpassing,super link play,moves the ball at pace,real football intelligence,and got two great points and a goal,but donnachas ball would have went in anyway.
Butcher,i am a critic of him,but today superb,work rate,won ball,drove forward at times.Deserves a chance against kerry but I do feel,walsh and leary or deane are the more complete package.
Colm o driscoll ,got a nice goal,but did not stand out ,and better options ahead of him,attacking wise.
Sugrue,a great grafter,lovely skill,feet like a ballerina ,is a player for the future.Had a great battle with t6 clancy who was by far and away ul best player at 6,orchestrating attack and defence well,full of poise and delivered some great long range passes.Massive talent.
Kerrigan good and bad.Again super pace,but Must play for a full game.
Goulding two great goalrworked hard,always showed for the ball.
Doc was superb,two games in a row.A real leader,constanly roaring at lads to watch and mark up at kickouts.Any time a cork half back had ,he started he-s run always showing and demanding the ball.
Cork are now playing faster ball in,he is thriving.He reminds of me ,of a big fish in a small tank,in that he was in danger of suffocation,under Counihan,in that slow laboured lateral football,meant he had no space as a forward ,with loads of defenders on him.

Now Cork show a real intent to move the ball at pace ,and he is now big fish in a large ocean in has more space,gliding around and making big waves.He really has the appetite and hunger,not past it by any means,and tormented kerry u21and highely rated ,martin tierney ,that he had to be subbed.

John hayes.Well,certainly not the best til last.Even he's fan club must admit he was woeful today.
He did not even score I think,dropped ball,gave woeful kick passes and as I am sick to the teeth of saying,he goes missing in big games and wont show for or work and make runs of the ball,and today was just ul.Today he played himself of the cork panel ,but cuthbhert will stick pick him.
Hayes playing in hes natural position,a man of he's age and expierence had no excuses today.

Last week the paper,the same paper that said cussen was the answer for cork ,said hayes was super against LIT.I mean it was pure pure ,in awe of hayes ,and how he got 1-4 against piss poor defending ,and how he was in similar standard to james o donughe,and hayes would have an indian summer.

Ffs,in all honesty ,LIT,were awful and the goal was a penalty.O donughe is an all star,hayes being compared to him is an insult to the kerry man.At a young age he has an all star,hayes never has or will come within an asses roar of one at 27.
Yes he is a fine club player,in club games,sun on the back ,in he's home comforts but he lacks the edge and mentality for the big stage.He is a gentleman,and a nice lad by all accounts.
My judgement is him purely as an intercounty forward.And he is not up to it.The west cork media,will blow him up.At the end of the day,it is not where you come from,just are you good enough for intercounty.He is not.Mark collins done very well as a sub,John O rourke,paddy kelly if fit,goulding,Donnacha,Hurley,Kerrigan,Vaughan(very good for CIT I hear)sugrue,mac eoin ,etc are all much better options.

Kevin crowley oozed class,when he came on,got a great point and sprayed the ball well .Hes cameo,you just know he is destined for greatness.Barry O driscoll got a good goal,cant read much in to it as the oppoisiton was poor,bv at the same time he showed for the ball ,and done more in he's cameo than Hayes who had way longer in the game.

The positve today was cuthbhert has credit due,matched hes talk ,and cork have showed a real desire,intent to move the ball at every opportunity at pace and direct.Cork hand pass not just to create an overlap.we in two games have kicked more fast ball than we did in the last two years and while there is lots of work to do ,and execution and accusracy must be improved in time,credit Cuthbhert ,the intent and desire to play fast open ball is there,and that is a welcome start.

The worry ,and time will tell and by the team picked to play a stronger kerry team in Mallow at 2 next sunday ,will reveal ,is have the management learned from the 1st two games,clearly some playes are not at this level.
He has seen them in two games,it gives you an idea.
The ul team were poor and no test really,better than LIT though.
The games from here on,Kerry ,then the league will reveal a lot about the management in have we a plan A and B, and are the right players being picked.
The honeymoon period with LIT,and Ul ,is over,from now on every game gets harder.
Credit cuthbhert for playing fast open football,and giving leary,crowley,sugrue,galvin game time but still questions marks remain over others.
Roll on next Sunday,a dry day please god,so both teams can play fast,open attack minded football.and we can learn more about our defence,and how our attack is against a good team.

Last edited:
From Boards.ie

Deco99: Was at the match in Mallow, and i'd have to agree with Corkrobinhood, when he asks what match was Thinkstoomuch watching. You go through the entire fifteen and you're criticisms are too harsh and you're praise over the top. The game was a non-event after a minute, the pitch was saturated and UL were not up to it. How can you call people real leaders and rule others out as not good enough when the margin of victory is 24 points? John Hayes dropped a few balls in saturated conditions, he also caught a few and laid them off unselfishly, so did the other forwards, backs and midlfielders.

Apart from the offputting ten quid charge in the gate, seriously thats just annoying when i'm not going to be entertained, i'm going to support, why did they not give the subs more time, none on at half time and i think only three on with 10 minutes to go. Whats the point of that?

Also, who is Aidan Walshs most likely partner this year in the middle of the park? couldnt take anything from yesterday.

thinkstoomuch1: I was not being too hard or too lavish at all.Unfortunately ,you did not be specfic where I overpraised someone or where I was too harsh,so my apologies,Hayes is the only name you mentioned ,so that is the only one I can defend.

When I judge a player,just to let you know where I come from,I like to set a realstic expectation,in who they marked,are they new or expierenced ,and there age etc.

You must set the standards accordingly.Take a sales job,a new guy has a lower target than a guy there longer,however to pass hes probabtion he must still hit an acceptable minium target to pass he's probation.In a year down the lime however ,what he does wont be accepted,he must do more,as he now has expierence,developed hes skillset ,and should know hes customer base and product inside out.

Take a runner as another example.A novice runner starting out is told the golden rule,forget about time,just do the distance ,a mile or two .
6 months in ,and he can do five miles .When he could barely run a mile and hold a conversation,he can do a five mile and not catch a breath.They are realistic expectations.

I said mclouGhlin was good overall against o rourke.However o rourke is not a natural corner forward,the dog on the street knows he prefers half forward.
Mcloughlin has a full year behind him.
Take and compare that to noel galvin.Galvin had limited time with Counihan,just in to the set up ,marks an all star,holds him to a point.Superb.If he held him to 3,that would have been still good,as the realistic view,james o donoghue is that good,he would burn most corner backs.I did not say ,give galvin an all star,i said he was a leading contender for no 4,and is when you see who is in competition with ,and the real lack of top quailty corner backs.Jamie sul,will be hes main threat.

Tom clancy ,i said was not tested at the back.Neither was alan sheehan last week.But clancy,played out of position,was super going forward from full back,sheehan at centre back wasnt.
And tom clancy of UL ,on a beaten team was superb ,putting out fires all over the ptich.So the two clancy lads have shown more than sheehan did.Now in clancy of Ul,he has a year of intercounty ,so you expect him to do that,yet he had a super attuide on a beaten team,and while he wore the ul jersey,he was clearly keen to impress cuthbhert.

Michael laoire,a bit small and light compared to the big Hogan and Mchugh,was superb ,won ball ,kicked well ,got a great point ,and unlike hayes in a congested midfield did not spill much ball.
He is young,new to intercounty senior ,yet done what was expected.A super u21 in 2011 he deserves a chance against kerry for a half,and while I aint a fan,the butcher showed a huge desire,attuide,and huger and fight ,he deserves a half with walsh against kerry.
The problem I have is he has been around in 2008,and last year and couldnt make it.
Laoire had not as many chances but was super at junior for cork last year.He stood out that that level,that is whaj you expect from a potential senior.

John hayes was poor,even hes staunchest fans yesterday said the same and were dissapointed.
I was not dissapointed in that I expected like I said before last week to blow hot and cold,and I dont believe he is the saviour for Cork.

Come on lad,FFS ,this is intercounty football,you can not use bad weather or elements as an excuse.The weather ,seen as you were at the game,cleared up as the game wore on,and as bad as it was ,was no way like the monsoon weather in waterford in the hurling last year,when both teams managed to catch ball cleanly,harder to do in hurling ,.
Munster ,in rubgy in the same and worse conditions in thomond park in 2008 went at least 30 phases of ball retetention,when they were more brutally tacklted than yesterdays lack lustre game,yet not one ball was knocked on.
Same when they beat Australia,in thommd park,the full back catching ball after ball,tackled ,and still not spilling a ball.

When hayes knocked it on,numerous times,unlike rubgy he had a second chance.He was then also beaten to the break,as he doesnt or never has ,wants to win dirty ball.He kicked,bad wides and kicked away possesion also.
What the excuse on a dry day,the sun was in he's eyes,the ground was too hard ,and the ball had an extra bounce he couldnt control it.
Come on man,the day the weather is used an excuse is the day they should walk away.If the ball was such a bar soap ,why did Donnach,Laoire,Butcher,Clancy for Cork and Ul not have the same problem?
Simple reason it was not much a problem ,as you think ,and Mallow is one of the few ptiches around that is okay to play on in bad weather.

I have seen the gooch grip and hold ball in a munster final in mallow for crokes in worse weather than yesterday,so bad the game was moved from the gaelic grounds last minute.

What do you want us to do when he has to go to Mayo in the league and its incessant rain,makes it like a bog ,and mayo crowd him out.He sits on the bench,or brings a towel,ties it around hes waist,and waits for a break in play to ask the referee ,can he dry the ball.Be realistic,this is not tiddly winks,but Inter County football,and you must adapt and survive any challenge.

Thats what make a good club player and an intercounty man stand out.A club player is good within a comfort zone.And it has f""ck all to do with talent.Hayes has undoubted natural talent,but he lacks the temperament,and fight when it is not hes day .

At 27,he should have been dominating hes opponent,7 years of intercounty expierece, under Morgan,Counihan ,and had Ned English at UCC, and he has played in club all ireland final,county final,u21 all ireland,senior all ireland ,tons of expierence and with sugrue the only forward not to score.

At one stage ,Donnach was hoarse from shouting at him to mark hes man at kickouts.Every time ,cork had the ball ,in defence,o connor mades hes runs,hayes far too static,wanted the perfect pass.

When donnach lost rarely a ball,he chased hes man,hayes didnt.What is your reason for that??hayes had the wrong studs or hes patch was too soft he got stuck to the ground.
I tell you what the answer is,attuide,and like when he lacked the focus and concentration to hold a wet ball,he lacked the same to chase hes man.You can learn as much watching what a player does off the ball than he does on the ball.

Another key point is hayes,Donnacha and goulding in the past many a big game failed as a unit to beat top defences,there is clearly something lacking in the balance of that unit.

If you were to drop one,hayes is the weakest link.
Goulding is an all star,done what you would expect,took he's two goals well yesterday.
Donnacha has not an all star but ,done it in an all ireland final like goulding.
Hayes failed on the big stage.
Brian hurley will be an all star.
Colm o neill is one.
Who is hayes better than here.??
None,not even close,and bar making one goal ,when it could be argued ,he wasnt brave enough to shoot himself ,he played himself of the team yesterday.I wouldnt have him on the panel.Cathal vaughan,donal og hodnett,Dan mac eoin ,barry o driscoll deserve a chance.
How many chances do you give players like hyes.

Sugre did not score.But compare him to hayes,and its apples and oranges scenario.
Sugrue,second game at this level,not seven years,still u21 this year and learning ,and up against a intercounty ,quailty player in Tom Clancy,yet the time clancy stayed at centre back,sugrue battled gamely and always chased clancy .
He wont start for cork but is a player with huge potential and will be a key player for ,cork u21 in tralee in 8 weeks .
Realistic judgement ,Sugrue is new.

And I know I may seem harsh,but look this is intercounty football,there is no room for sentiment.Cody has dropped season ,proven expierenced players ,and doesnt do reputations ,he is interested in attuide alone.

Yesterday ,like last week ,does not mean you play well you get an all star,but you done what was expected and deserve another game.But if you go missing,and dont show a desire,attuide,an interest in mickey mouse game ,in a half empty stadium ,what hope have you in a hostile Castlebar,or a full croke park.
These games tell you a lot about the character and dna of a player wanting to make a mark.Talent is f**ck all good to you unless you have the steel,and toughness within.
Christy Ring once said your opponent is mean,you must be as mean and tough,and once you have the right stuff within,there is not much he can do to you.

In relation to the admission price ,its no suprise with the cost of club games.Remeber a new stadium is being built.I totally agree with you.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Luke Combs Uk
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

115 Jazz Jam Sessions

115 Caf And Wine Bar, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼