Cork Footballers

In general, I think placing restrictions on the attacking team would have the unintended consequence of making it even more difficult to attack and making the bus-parking strategy even more effective and thus encouraging bus-parking even more. In general, to improve things, the restrictions have to be placed on the defending team, and the difficulty for the attacking team has to be reduced and/or the rewards for the attacking team have to be increased.

I.e. if we don't like what the attacking team is doing, then we should look at
  • what the defending team is doing to cause that - and restrict the defending team in that regard.
  • better rewarding the attacking team for what we want them to be doing instead.
You stop the handpass you limit the defense massively. You turnover the ball(more likely when player cant handpass out of trouble)you have 1 handpass before you have to kick.
It would speed up the game no end and it would stop massed defences because they would make way less sense.
It would make sense to have players hold position because you need forwards in position to kick to.

You stop the handpass you limit the defense massively. You turnover the ball(more likely when player cant handpass out of trouble)you have 1 handpass before you have to kick.
It would speed up the game no end and it would stop massed defences because they would make way less sense.
It would make sense to have players hold position because you need forwards in position to kick to.
I can see your logic @The Dagda. I'd have a fear that they'd just give a safer kick sideways or backwards. That said though, you could be totally right too - it is so hard to predict the consequences of a rule change. And fundamentally I agree with the broader unstated theme behind your logic. What we all want is continual contests between players where the best option is to play the risky ball which is subject to contest, or make the risky run which is subject to contest, and much less of cases where the safe option which is unlikely to cause a contest is the best option. Historically the scoring rate was somewhat lower - but the contest rate was massively higher, and we're missing that big time.

If the game continues as is, we may have to copy Rugby League: you get to retain possession 6 times, And after that the opposition get their turn!

It's gone that farcical.

If the game continues as is, we may have to copy Rugby League: you get to retain possession 6 times, And after that the opposition get their turn!

It's gone that farcical.
That is the best analysis of gaelic football I've read here or anywhere else.
I hope Jim Gavin's team prohibit any scoring with the hand and penalise any restart that doesn't reach 40 meters.

It's gone that farcical.
Rugby League is a fantastic sport to watch live though. It doesn't translate to telly but its all action and excitment when its on the pitch in front of you.

Its just the split happened before telly was a thing

It's gone that farcical.
Good idea. Would exclude forward kicks of 20m or more from the possession limit.
A shot clock and a limit of say 12 players in your own half would help also.
Any shot clock would need a player limit as otherwise teams would flood everyone back for the last 15 secs of it.

With the fitness levels now at IC level mirroring other similar professional sports worldwide, would a reduction in numbers to 13 a side not help the stop the use of mass defensive "blankets" from being formed...if there is more space on the pitch its harder to plug all the gaps...also the ideas of every kickout going outside the 45 is an excellent idea as is the the ball can only travel forward inside the opponents half by kicking it...any of these would improve the game hugely as a spectacle

Looking at those semis last weekend, the Cork footballers, with a two-week break like all teams at the stage of the championship, would have been competitive. Galway were that bit too savvy for Donegal in the final 10 minutes, something we need to learn. Kerry were in poor physical nick and Armagh had enough fitness and class forwards, such as Rian O'Neill, to see them off.
For next season, we need to get that bit of game management, nurture our forward talent (the relatively young like C. O'Mahony, H. O'Connor, C. Corbett) and realise that Kerry are nothing to be feared. I'd like to see someone like JFD or D. O'Connor to work specifically on the forwards.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

14th Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

DJ Jus Me (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼