Cork Footballers

Yerra sure he is just a fella who doesn’t get much love in his home county.. He played in the shadow of far better players and men on that Tyrone team and in the province of Ulster..
Trying to build a profile for himself.

I remember Sean Cavanagh for 2 things:
1) His violent and disgraceful conduct on the Croke Park pitch that prompted one of the most urgent and called for changes in GAA rules in its 125 year history
2) The fella who called Michael Murphy “a fat bastard”… Murphy an all time football great.. Donegals best.. A gentleman.. Cavanaghs mouth on and off the field provides an insight into his character.

Cavanagh is the man who says he is ashamed of his conduct on a pitch and says he wouldn’t want his own son doing what he did. He should not be on TV now in my opinion.
He publicly admits he led a joyless existence when playing for Tyrone. Many Tyrone people don’t have good things to say about him either.. Cavanagh led the heave publicly to get Mickey Harte out.

So, just laugh at him.. I can’t see him staying on the Sunday Game for much longer after this year- .. Paul Flynn, despite being as dry as sandpaper, was different gravy last night in his excellent analysis.. really exposed how poor Cavanagh is.

Cork GAA will be there long after he is gone and forgotten.
Rebels Abú
Flynn was brilliant in fairness. I think Fitzmaurice is top class too.

I remember Cavanagh for chickening out of playing Cork in the 09 semi final. Maybe he’s still bitter that Cork bullied Tyrone that day.

No team other than the top 4 or 5 counties have the those players. What Meath player was kicking from the 40?
I’d go further than that and say in the Top 5 teams it is standard policy not to shoot from 35+ distance.. That was one of the big changes and concepts introduced by Gavin to Dublin..

Sure Paddy McBrearty’s monster point to beat Kerry yesterday was only from 40m, straight in front of the goals with a huge wind behind him..

McSweeney had a chance yesterday from 30 yds and instead he turned around and passed it out to a team mate!

You see shots frequently taken from distance at junior football matchs nowadays that you rarely see at inter county anymore…work the ball into the D is what it’s all about at senior club and inter county level..

I agree with your point but when did Cork last have a kicking football team?

Even the noughties team was pretty poor in the regard, but made up for it in strength, athleticism and character.
Not sure ye are being fair lads.
Long range points from play have more of less disappeared from the game.
In last years All Ireland there was only 1 point from play outside the 35m mark, by Galway. There was no other shots from play taken from that distance.
Galway scored a 45 and Seanie O Shea a long range free alright.

I’d go further than that and say in the Top 5 teams it is standard policy not to shoot from 35+ distance.. That was one of the big changes and concepts introduced by Gavin to Dublin..

Sure Paddy McBrearty’s monster point to beat Kerry yesterday was only from 40m, straight in front of the goals with a huge wind behind him..

McSweeney had a chance yesterday from 30 yds and instead he turned around and passed it out to a team mate!

You see shots frequently taken from distance at junior football matchs nowadays that you rarely see at inter county anymore…work the ball into the D is what it’s all about at senior club and inter county level..
I agree with all of the above so it's hard to be critical of Brian O Driscoll and Eoin Mc Sweeney performance if these are perimeters they must play by

I agree with all of the above so it's hard to be critical of Brian O Driscoll and Eoin Mc Sweeney performance if these are perimeters they must play by
I’m not going to single out lads anymore but there was a half dozen individual performances yesterday that I hope those players are devastated with what they produced.
No coach or plan is going to tell an inter county footballer 30yds from goal to turn around and pass out to someone else.

JimmyBarrySmurph

Every coach has an onus to rid players of bad habits and these bad habits are on going in Cork footballers for years. John Cleary and his crew also failed Cork football badly yesterday. This has to change v Kildare.

JimmyBarrySmurph

Every coach has an onus to rid players of bad habits and these bad habits are on going in Cork footballers for years. John Cleary and his crew also failed Cork football badly yesterday. This has to change v Kildare.
I agree.. A ruthless Jim Gavin or Jack O Connor type approach needed.. not played the next day it has to be.

In last year's championship, the team got a fair bit out of themselves with the ball and without it - with one major exception, i.e. competing for the ball, and especially retaining ball on our own KO (and more especially again in parts of the field where we could turn quickly into attack), which of course is much better understood by the management and players than by me. I attended yesterday's match, and yes of course it was disappointing. But I don't know all of what's going on with training and all that, and I'd be very hopeful. Clearly some things are being tried, with the knowledge that some of them will work and some of them won't - now's a good time to be finding out, and it won't be the worst thing in the world if the last few league matches are high pressure matches with a lot on the line.

Of course this is an opinion forum, and I'm not suggesting people should not express their opinions - indeed I find the opinions interesting and often informative. But don't get too low or too high at this time of year - it's January.

Outsid of the 26 yesterday who else is on the panel at the moment, Fionn Herlihy, Paul Walsh, Paul Ring, Thomas Clancy, Darragh Cashman, Dano Dineen, Blake Murphy, Jack Cahalane, Tadgh Corkery, Damien Gore, David Buckley, Liam O Donovan , Liam O Connell...... WCG is that the panel do you know....
I Would love to see Brian Hartntt , Alan Walsh , Mark White involved..
Kevin Flahive and Daniel O Connell out long term.....John Cooper in the US.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Regan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

14th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Peader O Callaghan

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼