Cork Footballers

Interesting that people are quick to blame Martin for the kick outs. Nemo don’t have any problem winning kick outs in club championship with the same type of kick outs so I think we need to look at the midfielders and other players contesting for them. What does Ian Maguire have to offer for this team? Great servant for cork but in my opinion his times up. Kick outs have been a problem under every keeper and I think it’s nearly impossible that every keeper can’t kick a ball but of course Martin is used as the scapegoat. Thought O’Callaghan was the better of the midfielders so would leave him in there and maybe try Hayes with him.
Nemo aren’t up against inter county teams/inter county midfielders on a weekly basis.

Also, all inter county football teams will have guys who spend days studying opposition kickouts prior to an inter county game to find weaknesses in them.

Can’t compare the what happens for nemo kickouts and what happens at inter county level.

And as mentioned above, maguire is just turned 28, a minimum of 2 years left in him at this level, more if he wants it and hopefully he gets a chance to rest this winter and recharge the batteries for next year. He is the best of what we have in the county currently by a long shot.

Any chance of Meehan playing/starting? even if we got 50 minutes out of him it would be huge help
If he's fully recovered he'd be a massive addition to the defence but who would he replace if starting?
I suspect Mattie would be the one to make way as he isn't really a defender even if he's a very good footballer.
O Hanlon would be an even bigger addition as Fenton will need serious attention.

If he's fully recovered he'd be a massive addition to the defence but who would he replace if starting?
I suspect Mattie would be the one to make way as he isn't really a defender even if he's a very good footballer.
O Hanlon would be an even bigger addition as Fenton will need serious attention.
Cork will play with a sweeper and 6 defenders so Meehan would come in for a forward if he’s starting but I can’t see him coming back from that injury to start against Dublin to be honest.

We need to think longer term with him. And Cork need to be fair to his club too.

Would it be
Martin
Meehan Shanley o Donovan
Powter
Cooper r Maguire taylor
I Maguire o Callaghan
McSweeney o rourke
Hurley o Mahony Sherlock

Yeah kick outs wise ideally you would like 4 out of 5 of Ian maguire, o Callaghan, hayes , Paul Walsh , o hanlon if fit on the field at the same time but then would you have to sacrifice Powter as sweeper and play him as a normal back or drop Mcsweeney and/or o rourke . To try and improve our kick out options might have sacrifice either the very solid defensive structure like we had against Kerry or lose our better link players.

Its going to be very difficult to get those recovered players playing in a game of this stature , I heard Meehan has made an unreal recovery thank god for that but while we need him i suppose its just too riskey.

We have no realistic prospect of winning this game. We desperately need Meehan back in that defence next season to help us push on, it would be madness to compromise that by rushing him back for this match.
I hear from good reports he will play the match.The opinion seems to be he will start and last as long as he can.O Hanlon has a good 40 min in him by all accounts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Peader O Callaghan

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼