Cork Footballers

Hayes, yes, absolutely nailed on to be a top I/C footballer, but is he committing to football?
Brian Hartnett is well able and will be a likely starter, Niall I wouldn’t be so sure. However both were outplayed by the Kerry man in the county semi final.

O’Connell and O’Hanlon are both worth a look also, however both are just back from ACLs so who knows where they’re at right now.

As it stands, outside of Maguire, there’s no standout midfielder you can hang your hat on, there’s a bunch of 5/6 that need to be looked at, Grimes is one of those guys. Whether he earns the jersey is another question. My guess is he’ll do enough to be one of the 4 midfielders on the panel, wouldn’t necessarily have him down to start.
Logic 👏👏👏

We have a number of young players who can develop into top midfielders, Brian Hayes, Niall and Brian Hartnett , Daniel O Connell, Eanna O Hanlon ...i much prefer those to be on the panel. Killian O Hanlon will hopefully return as well.
Eanna injured again for another 8 weeks, Brian had fab club championships but didn't perform for u20s so how is he expected to play midfield at senior. Don't think Niall will make the panel of 40. My jury is out on Daniel but Joe is ahead

We have a number of young players who can develop into top midfielders, Brian Hayes, Niall and Brian Hartnett , Daniel O Connell, Eanna O Hanlon ...i much prefer those to be on the panel. Killian O Hanlon will hopefully return as well.
Ahh Cork your way off it man. Grimes showed up better the both those Douglas men and OHanlons have had bad injuries

If your suggesting Grimes hasn’t been better then the aforementioned this year then I reckon it’s not the sport for you. From what I’ve seen this year he’s been one of the best senior midfielders on show and is fully deserving of a place

The young Players i mentioned can only get better by coming on to the senior panel , what other can they get experience and show are they up to it or not ...if Joe Grimes was intercounty standard hed be on the Kerry panel.

Eanna injured again for another 8 weeks, Brian had fab club championships but didn't perform for u20s so how is he expected to play midfield at senior. Don't think Niall will make the panel of 40. My jury is out on Daniel but Joe is ahead
So grimes did well in the county championship and should be on the county panel but Brian hayes (I presume?) had a fab county championship but didn’t do it at u20 apparently so he shouldn’t be at midfield……nonsense

Last edited:
The young Players i mentioned can only get better by coming on to the senior panel , what other can they get experience and show are they up to it or not ...if Joe Grimes was intercounty standard hed be on the Kerry panel.
I agree with that. Right or wrong I wouldn't be happy watching a Kerryman in a Cork jersey. I don't think Ricken will pick him either even if he did perform well in the championship. If he was that good Jack O Connor would snap him up as Kerry are low in mid field players just now.

I agree with that. Right or wrong I wouldn't be happy watching a Kerryman in a Cork jersey. I don't think Ricken will pick him either even if he did perform well in the championship. If he was that good Jack O Connor would snap him up as Kerry are low in mid field players just now.
He lives and works in Cork, plays for a Cork club - wtf do we think we are? If he is prepared to put the work in and is up to standard then I hope he gets his chance, we've had enough of 'our own' piss it up against the wall of Reardons!

Grimes outplayed both Hartnetts in the Douglas-Clon semi final and has been one of Clonakiltys best performers this year.

I’d say there’s every chance he’ll be on the Cork panel this year. We need a partner for Maguire, he’s worth a look as there are no stand out candidates bar Brian Hayes who could yet opt for the small ball.

Has he ever played underage for Kerry? I don’t think he has, which would lead me to thinking that getting exposed to inter county training could raise his ceiling further.
What age is Grimes?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Chris Kent and Gearóid Farrelly
The White Horse, Ballincollig

17th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Hot Blooded Animals

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼