Cork Footballers

Heard Grimes was very good in that game
Grimes outplayed both Hartnetts in the Douglas-Clon semi final and has been one of Clonakiltys best performers this year.

I’d say there’s every chance he’ll be on the Cork panel this year. We need a partner for Maguire, he’s worth a look as there are no stand out candidates bar Brian Hayes who could yet opt for the small ball.

Has he ever played underage for Kerry? I don’t think he has, which would lead me to thinking that getting exposed to inter county training could raise his ceiling further.

No disrespect to the lads but if they were intercounty standard they would be back in there own county playing ...we have enough talent in this county to have a decent team.
I don’t think we’re in a position to be turning our noses up at any player. Grimes was the best midfielder bar Maguire on show in the senior championship this year. For that alone he has to be looked at.

Kevin ODriscoll and Deane are both gone, O’Hanlon has missed a year of football. We’re seriously thin on the ground around the middle. No guarantees he’ll make it, but I can’t name 4 better midfielders than him in Cork right now. My prediction is he’ll be on the 26 on the championship. O’Se, no.

We have a number of young players who can develop into top midfielders, Brian Hayes, Niall and Brian Hartnett , Daniel O Connell, Eanna O Hanlon ...i much prefer those to be on the panel. Killian O Hanlon will hopefully return as well.

I don’t think we’re in a position to be turning our noses up at any player. Grimes was the best midfielder bar Maguire on show in the senior championship this year. For that alone he has to be looked at.

Kevin ODriscoll and Deane are both gone, O’Hanlon has missed a year of football. We’re seriously thin on the ground around the middle. No guarantees he’ll make it, but I can’t name 4 better midfielders than him in Cork right now. My prediction is he’ll be on the 26 on the championship. O’Se, no.
O'Driscoll and Deane practically never played MF for Cork. This is pure Cork. Oh Jasis he is from Kerry give him Jersey. Ignore the successful underage set up . Just do the complete opposite of other successful counties and Yerra take a punt . Good fucking Grief.

O'Driscoll and Deane practically never played MF for Cork. This is pure Cork. Oh Jasis he is from Kerry give him Jersey. Ignore the successful underage set up . Just do the complete opposite of other successful counties and Yerra take a punt . Good fucking Grief.
Sounds like you’ve a chip on your shoulder regarding our neighbours. Luckily our new mgmt team are a bit more pragmatic, you look for the best players willing and able to play for Cork, who gives a shit where they grew up.

A guy in his early 20s who has the physical attributes to play senior I/C and who was a standout performer in the county championship needs to be looked at. Jerseys need to earned and if Ricken gives him a jersey then Joe Grimes will have earned it, end of.

We have a number of young players who can develop into top midfielders, Brian Hayes, Niall and Brian Hartnett , Daniel O Connell, Eanna O Hanlon ...i much prefer those to be on the panel. Killian O Hanlon will hopefully return as well.

Hayes, yes, absolutely nailed on to be a top I/C footballer, but is he committing to football?
Brian Hartnett is well able and will be a likely starter, Niall I wouldn’t be so sure. However both were outplayed by the Kerry man in the county semi final.

O’Connell and O’Hanlon are both worth a look also, however both are just back from ACLs so who knows where they’re at right now.

As it stands, outside of Maguire, there’s no standout midfielder you can hang your hat on, there’s a bunch of 5/6 that need to be looked at, Grimes is one of those guys. Whether he earns the jersey is another question. My guess is he’ll do enough to be one of the 4 midfielders on the panel, wouldn’t necessarily have him down to start.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Making A Scene

Fred Zeppelins, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼