Cork Footballers

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=207316

Lee Chin is happy with his decision to concentrate on hurling this year.

The Wexford man was the only dual player operating at the highest level in 2013 but has opted to step back from football this year as "it isn't possible to do both".

While he is disappointed that he won't get to represent the Model County in the big ball game, Chin accepts that intercounty fixtures militate against those who wish to play both codes:

"I'm seeing things clearer now that I have decided to concentrate on hurling only and I hope it will help my game," the 21-year-old told The Irish Independent.

"In fairness, both managers were very accommodating last year. But while it is hard to walk away from the footballers and the management, the decision really was easy. Hurling is my first game and it isn't possible to do both.

"I got great experience from it. People often refer to the day I was driven down from Armagh to play in the Walsh Cup final after the football game was called off, but I quite enjoyed that.

"If the GAA was able to accommodate a dual player, it could make life a bit easier. But that's not the case.

"The way the fixtures and training are now, it is a bit too much. The game is so professional, there are so many demands - you can't give 50%."

They can't do it in Dublin, they can't do it in Wexford but goddammit, we can do it in Cork.

This reminds me of the time the German ambassador couldn't understand Celtic Tiger economics and we all pointed out that things were fundamentally different here, and he couldn't be expected to understand.

From Boards.ie.

thinkstoomuch1: The proof of the pudding is in the eating.Chin tried ,fair play .and he could not do it.Whatever chance Walsh has,Eoin Cadogan at 27 won't be able to manage it,Alan Cadogan is already a Dual at U21 next year,and Cahalane will be doing extremely well to get back to he's best in Football next year ,after a serious,operation.

corkrobinhood: Yeah at least he tried though,Cadogan himself said he wanted to be able to look back in years to come when hes retired with no regrets,and he wants to try it so might aswell let him.

thinkstoomuch1: That does not make sense as,has he not tried ,in 2012 and failed?he's hurling was way off,for such a talented hurler lets call a spade,that year.
It is only he who wears the shoe knows exactly how it fits,so if you want use ,the lets try option,it doesnt apply ,as he has been there,done that ,and worn that shoe ,and it clearly does not fit with him.

He said he looked at the Keane Veira documentary ,a splendid viewing ,and said he got this "No Regrets"from Keane ,fair enough.
But Cadogan tried it .

Teddy Mac was the last man to and will be to ever win both bodes in 1990,Sean Og in 1999 was our best dual code player since,1999 getting and despite not being a natural full back against the odds played quite well against Meath,and was superb two weeks earlier against Kilkenny.

Those days are History.

I ,believe you must take the emotion ,and this fairytale view out of the decision ,you must be realistic.Of course I would love it to work ,but as Le Chin and Sarah O Donovan in her excellent piece ,are realistic to know,it won't happen.

Cadogan is a Keane fan like myself ,and I am not a massive soccer fan,I hope he takes Keanes mantra,Fail to prepare,Prepare to fail.
At the elite level to win an All Ireland ,even to compete you must be 100 hundred per cent prepared ,or you are playing catch up before you start.

As Lee Chin,clearly like many others showed,you can not commit to both codes and give 100 per cent commitment to both,and in Keanes mantra if your not fully prepared,then it is not going to work.

In the basis of the argument ,a guy plays the game,he should have the sole responsibilty to make that decision is also debatable.Yes ,players ,are the main guys,the bread and butter to an extent of the game,so there view must be taken soley in most cases,however some times as they are so involved in the game itself ,they are blinkered understandably by reality ,and some decisions must be taken by others ,as a player naturally and understandably wants to play.Every player wants to play.I would worry if the did not.

But just cause he "Wants to"is immaterial in this case.

Take a jockey as an example.The Great Tony Mccoy rides a horse at 2.o clock at Chelthnaham.He has an unfortunate fall,and is injured.He is riding the Favourite in the Gold cup.He is in pain but when asked,he brushes of the pain,I'm fine,the sheer determination and single mindness that is in he's DNA that makes him a winner means if he could ride,he would.He would not think twice.He would ride in the race if he could.

I think Davy Russell a big Gaa man,and you would often see he's father at Youghal matches,was injured ,at a big festival,i think it may have been Chelthnam,had a fall,went out the next day rode a race,but then had to step down for a big race,as he struggled with breathing in a race,and had to spend time in hospital.

The decision in these cases were taken out of there hands,as they have bravery ,and such hunger they want to ride.
Its not and rightfully there decision.Reality kicks in ,as safety is the priority.

The medical officer makes the call,hes is not emotion involved,purely makes a call on the facts presented before he's eyes.
Colm O Neill was kicking around in Mallow last Sunday great to see.I'm sure he "wants"to play as soon as possible".If you handed him the No 13 shirt ,Sunday and said play,understandably he probably would.

Thankfully that won't happen ,as that decision is out of he's hands,when he plays will be a medical one purely made on that alone ,and not the "want"of the player involved.

In Corks case the managers like Jim Gavin did,must and should have made the call.As there sole responsibilty is not individual wants,it is what is good and benfits the team and players.The fact both managers see it as plausible in Cork despite huge evidence against it is a worry.It is not making a decision for the player,it is up to the player what code he picks,but they are just saying with the commitment and preparation required in one code you must be fully devoted to that code.Cadogan is such a ferouicous competitor he will want to do both ,for Cork.He knows no other way .I geuinely admire that.But if it means he can only do best at one code,i would prefer that.

corkrobinhood: There is no right and wrong in this debate,at the end of the day the decision will always rest solely with the player. If he or she chooses to play as a dual player its 100% their choice,after that it then comes down to management,selectors,clubs,training schedules,etc etc etc.

As I said at the beginning I would never stop any player from playing a sport they want to play.People can say a player is selfish to want to play both codes and not commit to one, yet you and me and everyone else will have our own reasons for wanting or not wanting them to play as dual players,but is that not selfish on our parts too.

He really does think too much.

Talks too much it's all waffle. Basic point is if Cadogan or whoever want to go for both, the management think they can do both then let them off

They have to be able to decide if they can do both or the management needs to decide of they're not up to it.

This is the reason (i think he was Rebel Man on here) the poor man left.If you want short and snappy posts then Twitter is the place for you.I find it no trouble to take the time to read Thinkstoomuch's posts.

The first half was someway competitive but the second half was a walkover. UL chucked it. They might be missing a few, heavy training whatever but they didn't show after the break. At least they had a few more forwards than last weeks opposition.

Cork got off to a flyer and were well on top for the first 15 but UL came back into it for the last 20 and it looked as if it was shaping up into a good game.

I don't know how much Cork can take from it. I wouldn't judge any of the forwards for starters. Most of the scores were laid on a plate by teammates. No one had to work too hard for a score. At least three of the Cork goals were a direct result of poor defending. That won't happen from here on in.

The UL wingback Luke Mulligan got a black card after 5 minutes and to be fair he can have no complaints. Kerrigan was going in on goal and he tripped him. Their full back Martin Tierney got an awful roasting from D O'Connor was hooked by Kearns after 15 minutes. Clon Clancy went back into full back but they were in trouble all over the defence.

Not saying because he's a Corkman but Clon Clancy was easily ULs best defender. They shipped a lot of scores but not many can be attributed to him. He was outnumbered on numerous occasions and did his best to stem the tide when all around him were well beaten.

I wouldn't use the poor small students against the big inter county team as an excuse either. UL had some huge men togged out. There was a time when Cork had a physical advantage over teams but no more.

Their two midfielders McHugh and Hogan in particular are big men. Same height as Corks duo but with much bigger frames. There was alot of mullocking going on around the middle. O'Sullivan and O'Laoire had by far the better of this department but when the UL midfielders did manage to their hands on the ball they didn't have the football to do anything with it.

Surely O'Sullivan can only play in midfield from here on. He 's far more comfortable there than on the wing. I thought O'Laoire was very good and got a goal in the first half. In fairness Fermoy Clancy did most of the work.

Fermoy Clancy was excellent. Non stop driving up the middle, set up countless attacks and never wasted a ball. It's only the McGrath Cup but it was the best performance I've seen from him

Goold was another stand out player. Looked at home at centre back and kicked a great point late on when he switched to centre forward after the introduction of Colin Lyons. He has a fine range of passing but he won't be judged on games like this.

Noel Galvin had a right tussle with James O'Donoghue. Kept him to a point from play I think, JOD scored a few frees alright. JODs game mirrored his team. Lost every ball in the first 15, came alive in the last 20 of the first half but was marked absent for the second half. He showed glimpses of what he's capable though. He caught a ball in at one stage out on the right, no angle really, didn't look for anyone else but flashed a right footed shot across KOHs goal, it cracked off the top of the inside of the post and came back out across the goalline. 12th of January and you could forget about goal of the season if that went in. He looked half arsed to be honest. I think he has bigger aspirations this year than the Mcgrath Cup

John O'Rourke was pretty quiet for UL. I was expecting more from them. Judging by some of the 'encouragement' emanating from the UL bench I would say Kearns is hard man to play for.

Fermoy Clancy, Goold and the two midfielders were Corks best players. As I said before the forwards had it very easy. Difficult to gauge how good they are when Cork were so rampant. Marking and pressure on the ball was very poor.

Kevin O'Driscoll did well enough as did his brother but there didn't seem to be anybody marking Colm. Far too easy for him, difficult to judge a player under those circumstances.

Conditions were tough though, there was alot of surface water under the stand. You couldn't bounce the ball on one half of the field

The animals next week

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

You Spin Me Round: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼