Cork city has gone to the dogs.

Anyone know who owns the castle /house at the end of the straight road, above where the landslide happened years ago?

Used to belong to the parents of Breifni and Darragh O'Brien. The former did time for a ponsi scheme and listed amongst his victims was his father who allegedly had to put the house up for sale as a result of his 6 figure losses. The latter, who used anchor RTE rugby programms, allegedly has a bit of a gambling habit and story goes his not paid betting debts saw the employee of a bookies shop get sacked for taking the bets on tick.

Breifne's problem was that he didn't come from 'Old Money' so his father, wealthy that he was, would in no way have had enough cash to set him up for life.

This also meant he didn't have the cash to bail out those who were ripped off.

The proceeds from the 'castle' would barely have covered the legal fees

Breifne's problem was that his victims included two judges.

I thought the regatta was on this week?
Usually stop the middle and lower classes from entering the village...

Proper order too.

Regatta is going to be a bit of a damp squib what with there being not a puff of wind at the moment. Think I might take my semi-rigid down the harbour for a bit of fun ;)

Regatta is going to be a bit of a damp squib what with there being not a puff of wind at the moment. Think I might take my semi-rigid down the harbour for a bit of fun ;)
The sailing forecast for Cork is good for the next 7 days.

WEDNESDAY
13/07
This is a great day for sailing.
20°/ 11°

THURSDAY
14/07
20°/ 11°

FRIDAY
15/07
20°/ 13°

SATURDAY
16/07
21°/ 15°

SUNDAY
17/07
24°/ 15°

MONDAY
18/07
23°/ 14°

TUESDAY
19/07
21°/ 12°

The sailing forecast for Cork is good for the next 7 days.

WEDNESDAY
13/07
20°/ 11°

THURSDAY
14/07
20°/ 11°

FRIDAY
15/07
20°/ 13°

SATURDAY
16/07
21°/ 15°

SUNDAY
17/07
24°/ 15°

MONDAY
18/07
23°/ 14°

TUESDAY
19/07
21°/ 12°

Aw shucks, I won't be able to bring my semi-rigid down the harbour so :ROFLMAO:

Aw shucks, I won't be able to bring my semi-rigid down the harbour so :ROFLMAO:
Of course you can. The Marita Ann 2 is always welcome.

Yesterday morning the harbour around Cobh and Spike as far as Monkstown was like a glass mirror but out by Roches Point there was a decent breeze.

Used to belong to the parents of Breifni and Darragh O'Brien. The former did time for a ponsi scheme and listed amongst his victims was his father who allegedly had to put the house up for sale as a result of his 6 figure losses. The latter, who used anchor RTE rugby programms, allegedly has a bit of a gambling habit and story goes his not paid betting debts saw the employee of a bookies shop get sacked for taking the bets on tick.

Id take down that defamatory post about Dara SoundY.

Thanks to Earl I was able to get the Sunday World report. I'd remembered it correctly. Not a nice guy 😔

MEET the RTE Sports presenter who is accused of getting a betting shop employee fired after conning her into placing €3,000 in bets.

Daire O'Brien has become a household name fronting up RTE's rugby coverage. But he has been accused of foul play after he allegedly refused to honour a series of bets he convinced a worker to place on credit.

Today, the Sunday World reveals the true story behind O'Brien and the 'bookie-gate' scandal.

Boylesports worker claims she lost her job after TV star conned her in to betting thousands on the horses

HE is the golden boy of RTE's sports coverage who has been accused of getting a woman fired after conning her into placing €3,000 in bets.

Daire O'Brien was a recent high-profile signing for RTE when he was drafted in to host the station's Magners League rugby coverage.

The Cork-born broadcaster also earned rave reviews as the presenter of the Eleventh Hour on RTE Two during the General Election.

Dispute

daire-obrien-bertie-ahern.jpg

HIGH PROFILE: Daire O’Brien with former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern

But now O'Brien is at the centre of a controversial dispute with a worker in a bookmaker's shop in south Dublin.

He has been accused of convincing a Boylesports worker in Ranelagh to place a number of bets on Easter Tuesday while he waited for a cheque to clear.

The 42-year-old presenter is well-known in media circles for his love of the "odd flutter or three" on the horses.

A source has told the Sunday World O'Brien told the woman he was waiting for a cheque to clear in a local bank.

"She trusted him - partly because of his high profile - and placed the series of bets on his behalf.

"But after none of them came in, O'Brien refused to pay up and she got fired.

"The poor girl couldn't get another job and she has had to move home to Munster.

"It's terrible, she is a nice decent girl who wouldn't have a bad word to say about anyone.

"There was a lot of sympathy for her within Boylesports - and there was never any question of her not being believed - but the rules are the rules."

According to locals, O'Brien crossed the road to a pub after his first bet where he drank pints of lager and lime. He subsequently watched the races on television before returning to the bookies to get more bets on credit.

By 3.40pm - 20 minutes before banks close - he had run up close to €3,000 in lost bets. At that stage the young woman realised what was happening and called her supervisor.

She was dismissed days later for "breach of procedure". Boylesports are not believed to have contacted gardai, as no criminal offence was committed.

An RTE source said O'Brien would be "very fond" of the horses and loved the gambling scene.

"People who know him would know that he would love a punt.

"He would always be in and out of the bookies, he has great knowledge of the races.

daire-obrien-setanta-sports.jpg

BIG RUGGER MAN: O’Brien (right) with fellow rugby panelists with Setanta

"Daire would like nothing more than a pint and a win on the horses.

"A lot of people have heard about this row with the bookies, it is the talk of the town."

The ex-Setanta Sports star is not the first member of his family to get in trouble because of his financial dealings. Daire's older brother, Breifne O'Brien, was at the centre of a scandal involving an alleged pyramid scheme.

The high-profile socialite is under investigation by the garda fraud squad after conning his friends out of €18m. Breifne ran a number of high-profile businesses and claimed to be a financial investment consultant.

He was married to PR guru Fiona Nagle and famously hosted a number of lavish parties in their home in Silchester Road in Glenageary, Co Dublin.

breifne-obrien.jpg

PROBE: Breifne O’Brien

But in 2008, he confessed to investors - most of whom were close pals - that he had been "living a lie".

He had duped them into investing in bogus schemes and used the money to fund his extravagant lifestyle, allegedly spending millions over 15 years.

Daire served as a director on a number of his brother's companies, including dry cleaning firms Brainwash and the southside Laundry Company.

Last night, Daire could not be contacted for comment on the allegations he conned the bookie shop worker - despite a number of approaches through different avenues.

An RTE spokesman also refused to comment on the allegations.

Last year, O'Brien issued a series of betting tips to the readers of RTE's website. He advised punters to take a chance on Ulster in the Magners League.

He said: "At odds of 20/1 a fiver would not go astray, as I feel they have recruited well and they should, at least, finish in the top four.'

He also claimed Munster's success in Heineken Cup had united the nation.

"For a lot of guys like myself living in Dublin, you can travel to Limerick or Cork and hook up with old acquaintances and school pals. Brand is a horrible word and it sounds quite cold, but what Munster did for rugby is something that you can be proud of supporting.

"It's egalitarian; fun, but above all it's social. When you add in the euphoria that accompanies a famous win, it really is potent stuff.'

"The values in rugby are decent; the players are paid well - not hefty salaries - and the game is good to watch."
http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Light and Shade

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼