Cork city has gone to the dogs.

We were in town last Saturday night with a couple visiting Cork for the first time from abroad. It was bad enough to see the homeless around Grand Parade off their heads and looking dodgy as fuck but then we went up to Pana! My wife and friend's wife were walking ahead when a bottle was thrown in the direction of a homeless guy by 2 little scrotes down by Dunnes, the glass smashed close to my wife but didn't get her.

I rang the gardai as we had been having a drink before that outside Le Chateau without seeing a Gard in sight for over an hour!! Later on we did see a good presence on Oliver Plunkett St but Pana needs a constant presence that just is not there. Also it needs more cafes, bars, restaurants etc. that are open later to bring a better atmosphere to the place.

On the positives they were very impressed by Cork aiport, Kinsale, Cobh and a couple of bars and a restaurant we went to on Sat night in town but Pana and Grand Parade are really letting the place down at the moment.

We were in town last Saturday night with a couple visiting Cork for the first time from abroad. It was bad enough to see the homeless around Grand Parade off their heads and looking dodgy as fuck but then we went up to Pana! My wife and friend's wife were walking ahead when a bottle was thrown in the direction of a homeless guy by 2 little scrotes down by Dunnes, the glass smashed close to my wife but didn't get her.

I rang the gardai as we had been having a drink before that outside Le Chateau without seeing a Gard in sight for over an hour!! Later on we did see a good presence on Oliver Plunkett St but Pana needs a constant presence that just is not there. Also it needs more cafes, bars, restaurants etc. that are open later to bring a better atmosphere to the place.

On the positives they were very impressed by Cork aiport, Kinsale, Cobh and a couple of bars and a restaurant we went to on Sat night in town but Pana and Grand Parade are really letting the place down at the moment.

Isn't there some nonsense planning rule about not allowing exactly that on Pana?
Isn't that why Starbucks down by Merchants Quay was forced to close?
I might be wrong, maybe someone else can clarify.

Isn't there some nonsense planning rule about not allowing exactly that on Pana?
Isn't that why Starbucks down by Merchants Quay was forced to close?
I might be wrong, maybe someone else can clarify.
There is but I think it needs to be loosened especially as it is a very wide street with plenty of pedestrian space and current smaller retail units could be ideal for trendy cafes, wine bars, small restaurants with some outdoor seating.

What were the couple of bars and restaurant that impressed them?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Talisk
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

23rd Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼