Comms techies......help please..

An aged Nun family friend is returning to a Missionary position (sorry) in darkest Nigeria. We want to try to keep some sort of contact lines open - does anyone know if we can buy a satellite phone for her - or is there any other feasible way to achieve this?

Satellite phones are very expensive to use.

Unfortunately, mobile coverage is very poor outside the main cities in Nigeria.

Depending on whether she's bringing a computer - a second hand laptop could be pretty cheap - and the availability of power supplies, satellite broadband could be an option.

Why can't I see an elderly nun setting up a computer to make voice calls over satellite broadband...

jungle said:
Satellite phones are very expensive to use.

Unfortunately, mobile coverage is very poor outside the main cities in Nigeria.

Depending on whether she's bringing a computer - a second hand laptop could be pretty cheap - and the availability of power supplies, satellite broadband could be an option.

Why can't I see an elderly nun setting up a computer to make voice calls over satellite broadband...
I was under the impression that it wasn't too bad actually. There's been a load of reports recently of how they're rolling out new networks there as people are buying mobiles in place of landlines...

A mobile phone is probably the best option (any bog standard GSM phone will be grand, they use the same standard). I'm sure she could get Skype working from an internet cafe there, VOIP is getting much more common in Africa.

A satellite phone would be madness, the latency alone would be a complete and utter bitch, ever see the delays on TV with reporters from the US? It'd be like that, but much worse.

Email and good old fashioned snail mail could be another option. If she's within reaching distance of a city, she'll have no bother at all.

Proinsias said:
I was under the impression that it wasn't too bad actually. There's been a load of reports recently of how they're rolling out new networks there as people are buying mobiles in place of landlines...

A mobile phone is probably the best option (any bog standard GSM phone will be grand, they use the same standard). I'm sure she could get Skype working from an internet cafe there, VOIP is getting much more common in Africa.

A satellite phone would be madness, the latency alone would be a complete and utter bitch, ever see the delays on TV with reporters from the US? It'd be like that, but much worse.

Email and good old fashioned snail mail could be another option. If she's within reaching distance of a city, she'll have no bother at all.

Mobiles are taking off in a big way in Africa because it saves them the hassle and expense of installing fixed lines. However, in most countries, with few exceptions, coverage is largely confined to the cities because there isn't enough revenue to justify the infrastructure investment.

For Nigeria, take a look at this page

http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/nigeria.php

Choose 'Show all maps' to see the areas that are covered by all networks combined.

jungle said:
Mobiles are taking off in a big way in Africa because it saves them the hassle and expense of installing fixed lines. However, in most countries, with few exceptions, coverage is largely confined to the cities because there isn't enough revenue to justify the infrastructure investment.

For Nigeria, take a look at this page

http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/nigeria.php

Choose 'Show all maps' to see the areas that are covered by all networks combined.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. This is a serious requirement so I am genuinely obliged. I will be back in another guise regarding more frivolous matters.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Anatomy Of A Fall (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

17th Apr 2024 @ 5:00 pm
More info..

Lyra

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼