Clonakilty

I was in Youghal yesterday, had dinner in the Quays. The place was absolutely hopping but when you step outside Youghal is an absolute ghost town.

So much potential there but the town is just being left to die.
I was also down there yesterday and the strand, beach and boardwalk were jammed all afternoon as it was a nice spring day.

There is no major draw in the town apart from a few restaurants etc.

I remember Youghal in the late 60s early 70s and as we rounded the bend behind Perk's you could see the beach and the band-stand below on the right. I remember the older siblings telling us that the red flag flying meant there were sharks in the bay, but that they'd never be in Ardmore :)

Youghals got some gorgeous buildings. The Walter Raleigh is lovely but then just on the Cork side of it there's an abandoned half built piece of shit being left to rot there. I wonder is there any scope for a referendum to change the constitution to CPO sites like that at a price that includes a discount for councils to repair or renovate them. There are some really good people in those towns trying to do stuff to improve them and they get fuck all help because the states hands are tied.

Your man Frank O'Connor (Derelict Ireland) on Twitter has thousands of derelict buildings in Cork mapped out. He's very very negative and moany but he highlights the massive extent of the problem. Councils everywhere seem to be pussyfooting around the problem, most likely because they have so little power and resources to address the issue.

A mass purchase or legal land grab for anything derelict for ten years or more would go a long way to fixing up towns like Youghal and Mallow that have great potential if they had the weight of the state behind their efforts. Too much property is in hands that has fuck all interest in anything but sitting on it.

Last edited:
I stayed in the Walter Raleigh exactly a year ago. Never again We also went to the Regal Cinema to see Death on the Nile. Really impressive spot tbf. It was really stormy outside so it was lovely to be in the big plush seats with a glass of wine and popcorn.

Screen_Shot_2017-11-06_at_12.41.31_PM.jpg

Youghals got some gorgeous buildings. The Walter Raleigh is lovely but then just on the Cork side of it there's an abandoned half built piece of shit being left to rot there. I wonder is there any scope for a referendum to change the constitution to CPO sites like that at a price that includes a discount for councils to repair or renovate them. There are some really good people in those towns trying to do stuff to improve them and they get fuck all help because the states hands are tied.

Your man Frank O'Connor (Derelict Ireland) on Twitter has thousands of derelict buildings in Cork mapped out. He's very very negative and moany but he highlights the massive extent of the problem. Councils everywhere seem to be pussyfooting around the problem, most likely because they have so little power and resources to address the issue.

A mass purchase or legal land grab for anything derelict for ten years or more would go a long way to fixing up towns like Youghal and Mallow that have great potential if they had the weight of the state behind their efforts. Too much property is in hands that has fuck all interest in anything but sitting on it.
It’s a slippery slope: the right to private property is extremely important. OK, you could argue “the common good,” but that’s what happened in Venezuela.
And China.

A mass purchase by who?
The local authority is it? You must be joking?
The same local authorities that already own the land to build hundreds of thousands of houses but can’t build a Barna shed themselves?
Or by the state ? The same entity that owns or controls over 10% of the land in Ireland but can’t meet our citizens basic housing needs.. our young bright educated ambitious people leaving because they can’t find suitable accommodation..
It’s government policy that has created this dereliction in the first place.
The solution is to Incentivise the hard working private citizens and they will get it done.. but this isn’t possible with the cesspit

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Living Images (NC) [Baltic Film Festival]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼