Cash or no cash?

MerchantOfEnnis

Something which seems to be coming up a lot lately, people concerned about people paying with card instead of cash.

The government can track you if you pay with card, the banks take fees so they get richer, businesses lose out as they're losing the fees - etc.

Then you have businesses which now won't accept cash. Surely that's beneficial for some businesses - no need to worry about cash going missing, no need to worry about new staff filling their pockets.

People give out saying that cash is legal tender. But I don't think that means businesses have to accept it. When you go to a shop to make a purchase then you are only making an offer for the goods, and the shop doesn't have to sell them to you if they don't like your form of payment.

What are peoples thoughts on a future cashless society? It is coming, but why is it a bad thing?

Something which seems to be coming up a lot lately, people concerned about people paying with card instead of cash.

The government can track you if you pay with card, the banks take fees so they get richer, businesses lose out as they're losing the fees - etc.

Then you have businesses which now won't accept cash. Surely that's beneficial for some businesses - no need to worry about cash going missing, no need to worry about new staff filling their pockets.

People give out saying that cash is legal tender. But I don't think that means businesses have to accept it. When you go to a shop to make a purchase then you are only making an offer for the goods, and the shop doesn't have to sell them to you if they don't like your form of payment.

What are peoples thoughts on a future cashless society? It is coming, but why is it a bad thing?

Do your own homework, m8.

Any business that takes this attitude of not accepting cash payments, is acting very arrogant.

I would not bother supporting such a business
Sure aren't the buses almost cashless at this point

Fairly sure Dublin Coach insisted on card payments only during Covid

Edit: No cash accepted at all

We accept card or contactless payments. We also accept Leap Card, Free Travel Pass, Google Pay, Apple Pay and Revolut onboard. Cash is not accepted onboard.

The amount of cash outstanding has never been higher, it went through a huge surge during the pandemic. The narrative of society going cashless is coming from those with a vested interest in it happening.

And that's why we "need" those datacentres........to keep track of our lives. How else would we know how many points we have on our Dunnes Stores app and all the other apps on our phones that store info on our preferences and shopping habits so we can be delivered adverts that might be of interest. If I do a Google search on the house PC for holidays in France it's very likely that within 24 hours I'll be getting ads on my phone for Brittany Ferries.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Rebel Frequencies Presents Songsmiths
The White Horse, Ballincollig

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern : Kevin McGahern

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼