Carrigtohill Shopping Village

City centre has dramatically changed from 40 years ago. Despite the exponential growth in population around the city, that would have meant huge pressure for more retail outlets had there been no hollowing, vacant shops abound and if it wasn’t for fast food outlets it would be even more dramatic. But hey, if you don’t want to see that knock yourself out.
Are you saying in your ideal world all new retail outlets would have to be based in the city centre?

Except of course when you want to pop down to your local supermarket chain in Douglas to do the weekly family shop because it is too inconvenient for you to go into town.

Are you saying in your ideal world all new retail outlets would have to be based in the city centre?

Except of course when you want to pop down to your local supermarket chain in Douglas to do the weekly family shop because it is too inconvenient for you to go into town.

Not at all. What I'm saying is that the claims that retail being situated in the fringes of the city, or indeed beyond, will be the death knell for shopping in the city, is a claim that has been made for 40+ years and while there has been a deterioration of the number of shops in the city centre, it's not been the armageddon forecast by many.

And it's not too inconvenient for me to go into town at all as it happens, but thanks for your concern on my behalf :)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

DJ Val

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼