car recommendations

The OP was thinking of getting a diesel but was worried about maintenance costs and you suggest an M3 that does about 20miles to the gallon and with roadtax just under 2grand? :confused:

with 8grand you'd pick up a decent 2008 1.9tdi golf with low road tax

And you would get the petrol variant cheaper again.. point is this person does not do enough miles to make a desiel a more economic choice... Do you get that, very short trips are not good for turbos, maintenance in general is more expensive for desiel engines. The savings on fuel only kick in once the engine is warm. The wear on a desiel if only doing short trips will cost you (turbos, injectors and partical filters)... But hey don't listen to me listen to people that think the only cost in running a car is tax. Btw e46 m3 is 1809 tax

And you would get the petrol variant cheaper again.. point is this person does not do enough miles to make a desiel a more economic choice... Do you get that, very short trips are not good for turbos, maintenance in general is more expensive for desiel engines. The savings on fuel only kick in once the engine is warm. The wear on a desiel if only doing short trips will cost you (turbos, injectors and partical filters)... But hey don't listen to me listen to people that think the only cost in running a car is tax. Btw e46 m3 is 1809 tax

Are you saying that an m3 is more reliable and has less maintenance costs than a Golf? We are talking about a 70+ grand BMW purchased brand new!

I'm not goin to argue with ya, the M3 is definitely more fun to drive, but the OP only has 8grand to spend.

;)

Are you saying that an m3 is more reliable and has less maintenance costs than a Golf? We are talking about a 70+ grand BMW purchased brand new!

I'm not goin to argue with ya, the M3 is definitely more fun to drive, but the OP only has 8grand to spend.

;)

Jeez my point is people are obsessed with diesel for low fuel costs, however fuel costs are just one of the many costs, and at 150miles a week the desiel will likely not be cheaper when everything is considered.not to mention people think having a 2008 for some reason adds a good bit more over and above the 2007 of the same model

Why? a small petrol wouldn't pull the fat off a chip, whereas even most modern turbo diesels (1.3 and above) have bags of torque/better fun to drive and are more economical.

This from Fish for the win. Get on the motorway with a 1.5L petrol engine, you might as well walk. God help you going uphill. Car choices are the one thing I'm dreading when I move back, christ help me I'll be going from an Audi S4 to probably a low spec A4. (Woe is me!)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼