car recommendations

Long story short, my Corolla was written off. What car would ye recommend getting? Have about €8k to spend. I do about 150 miles a week. Was looking for diesels but a mechanic buddy of mine says when things go wrong with them they're very costly.

Long story short, my Corolla was written off. What car would ye recommend getting? Have about €8k to spend. I do about 150 miles a week. Was looking for diesels but a mechanic buddy of mine says when things go wrong with them they're very costly.
A diesel must be serviced regularly. Oil and filters, I have a 02 avensis and never had 1 bit of bother with it , I get a full service every 7k miles , only failed nct once on lights being to high , look after a diesel and it will look after you

You need to do the miles to own a diesel, otherwise you'll have injector issues ,partical filter issues and you'll be replacing turbos. Diesel cars are more expensive to buy and to maintain, they are cheaper on fuel. And are worse pollution wise for humans anyway, or be it lower on C02

Yup.

Sister has a 5 year old Mondeo diesel.

Engine effectively blew up. Cost her 6k.

Nonsense, you'd get a very clean 2002 m3 for that, if you know what to look for

The OP was thinking of getting a diesel but was worried about maintenance costs and you suggest an M3 that does about 20miles to the gallon and with roadtax just under 2grand? :confused:

with 8grand you'd pick up a decent 2008 1.9tdi golf with low road tax

Your diesel mechanic is correct, but there's no comparison between diesel and petrol in the price range you are looking at. I would rather buy a small engine diesel than most petrols (unless above 2.0L). Why? a small petrol wouldn't pull the fat off a chip, whereas even most modern turbo diesels (1.3 and above) have bags of torque/better fun to drive and are more economical.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼