Car insurance system

Hello, recently back from being abroad and obviously looking to drive while in the country.

Only to be now told the system doesn't recognise my previous years of driving - my 5 years no claims bonus doesn't apply since its not within the last 3 years. So my car insurance quotes are €2500+. This is obviously unachievable, and leaves me wondering how am I to live in a country where I can't afford the car insurance.

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat and disgusted about it, but who is there to complain to?

How is it governed? I would honestly like to know..

Thanks
Graham

Hello, recently back from being abroad and obviously looking to drive while in the country.

Only to be now told the system doesn't recognise my previous years of driving - my 5 years no claims bonus doesn't apply since its not within the last 3 years. So my car insurance quotes are €2500+. This is obviously unachievable, and leaves me wondering how am I to live in a country where I can't afford the car insurance.

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat and disgusted about it, but who is there to complain to?

How is it governed? I would honestly like to know..

Thanks
Graham

Your no claims bonus expires after 2 yes and essentially you start from scratch unless you can find an insurer who is willing to recognise your driving experience from abroad.
We're you driving abroad? Was policy in your own name or that of an employer..?..

This rule has been in place with years and you would see the same in the UK.

My point was, have you been driving abroad whilst you were away?. If you have been and can get proof of that, I would suggest you bring that proof with you to an insurance broker and they may be able to make a case for you to insurer.
The no claims bonus is gone but with a bit of luck they may be able to negotiate an "introductory" discount with an insurer.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Nat Mac

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼