Cab sold

Duffy owns that Zu Car place in East Gate on Little Island, I wonder will they just move the business out of Ballintemple and sell the place, could be a prime site for a residential development.

Oh no! I hope the Cavanaghs haven't sold out!!!!!!
Yes they had a place in Charleville and a place in Fermoy too. Tom Cavanagh is a very successful businessman and was probably the first man to introduce car finance in Ireland (Acorn Finance?) He has done loads of stuff. I know of some but won't embarress myself with poor info. However, you could not meet a more understated but over achieved gentleman like Tom Cavanagh or his son Conor.

Hah, someone earlier mentioned Kearys but like Tom Cavanagh, Keary's was started by O'Callaghans Kanturk. Paddy O' was a legend. He was a VW dealer for years and in the mid '70s he brought in a Toyota Corolla and told prospective customers that the Toyota was the future. Wasn't he right!
He then went on to create, O'Callaghan's (Obviously Kanturk) Mallow, Kearys Mallow, Cork and Deerpark Motors Charleville.
Come to think of it; Henrys ancestors being from Ballinascarthy and Tom and Paddy leading from Charleville. The guy who owned the rights to Mitsubishi for IRL and GB owned/lived in Clon.

I think that business will be moved out to Little Island or similar industrial location.
Joe Duffy makes Kearys group look like a minnow, they have some set up in Dublin with all the franchise dealerships all lined up next to each other near Charlestown.

It’s a funny time for car dealers:
- serious shortage of stock due to both Covid and Brexit
- Eamon Ryan and his lunatic crew piling on the costs with VRT and fuel cost hikes
- Doomed switch to electric cars (as was the Greens 2008 push on diesel).

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼