BUS BAYS GOING BANG,

The bus bays on patricks quay are gone from end of may in order to facilitate a cycle lane, It seems there will not be
one dedicated Bus pick up point going forward but a few of them in various locations,
As a southsider i was never happy with the aircoach pick up point on the northside as it was a major inconvenience to get to it,

Tommy Goulds discrimination sense is tingling.

The bus bays on patricks quay are gone from end of may in order to facilitate a cycle lane, It seems there will not be
one dedicated Bus pick up point going forward but a few of them in various locations,
As a southsider i was never happy with the aircoach pick up point on the northside as it was a major inconvenience to get to it,
Merchants Quay has 4 -5 lanes of traffic and an actual bus station and if our monopoly bus company could be a bit flexible for the greater good?

The bus station and train station should be fully integrated into a transit hub for the city. The bus operators, Bus Eireann, Citylink, Aircoach etc. should all be accommodated in a central location.

So to facilitate a cycle lane which in all liklihood won't be used as it should be, they're going to discommode a whole group of bus users that have been using that area for decades(?). I think the Cobh Bus even has an office on the quay there. As someone living on the southside I never have a problem delivering or collecting people from that quay as it's pretty close to the south link, and given that the vast vast majority of bus trips taken out of this city are to destinations requiring travel on the northside (including where you're now living) it's pretty obvious why busses would choose such a relatively close area to the city center but still on the north side.

Any idea where the new bus bays are going to be sited?

The bus station and train station should be fully integrated into a transit hub for the city. The bus operators, Bus Eireann, Citylink, Aircoach etc. should all be accommodated in a central location.

What do you propose doing with the current geographic problem that not alone are the bus station and train station separated by a couple of hundred meters, there's a river in between them!

So to facilitate a cycle lane which in all liklihood won't be used as it should be, they're going to discommode a whole group of bus users that have been using that area for decades(?). I think the Cobh Bus even has an office on the quay there. As someone living on the southside I never have a problem delivering or collecting people from that quay as it's pretty close to the south link, and given that the vast vast majority of bus trips taken out of this city are to destinations requiring travel on the northside (including where you're now living) it's pretty obvious why busses would choose such a relatively close area to the city center but still on the north side.

Any idea where the new bus bays are going to be sited?
Patricks Quay was always a nightmare for drop-offs and pick-ups and with Harley Street pedestrianised and a nice new bridge is was always very busy to get to Bridge St and McCurtain St. Buses facing West to get stuck in traffic and head East made no sense.

If our daft semi-State agencies ever even talked to each other we would have a combined bus and train station like in other countries (Crazy talk I know) on the Lower Glanmire Road open to Bus Eireann and private companies for the benefit of the passengers

Unions, semi-States, wastrel public servants, local authority would have a fit as competition and efficiency is their sworn enemy.

Feck the passengers anyway.

The bus station should be sold off to a developer for a hotel / offices etc and they should decamp to Horgans Quay/Lower Glanmire Road instead of crossing a bridge and streets with your luggage.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Mashed Potatoes

Old Oak, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼