bodyclock - a steve sanders thread

im not talking about baby fever ladies.

i generally wake a couple of minutes before my alarm is due to go off. we accept these things on face value, but how does it actually work? what happens within the brain to trigger the 'wake up' message at that correct time?

Its related to our genes, blood pressure, hormone levels and memory triggers. As far as i can understand if you have a regular sleeping pattern, then a memory trigger will automatically wake you before the alarm goes off as the alarm startles you awake much in the same way a cry for help will or a sudden violent noise. An evolutionary mechanism which ensures that we are awake before the "disastour" occurs a.k.a the alarm going off.

someone once told me that on those occasions when you are drifting off and you wake up very abruptly with a big adrenenline rush is a throwback to when we lived in trees - you awake like that to stop you falling out of the tree.

i think it was balls however.

Half right half wrong. It is a defense mechanism, but not necessarily for falling out of trees.

Happens to me all the time, I dream im about to get hit by a car and im up like a shot (A morning wood joke will fit nicely in their for the more discerning of you).

Although why bedrooms are normally upstairs in houses and why some people feel uncomfortable in bungalows may be because we used to be tree dwelling.

I've got an incredibly annoying habit of waking up earlier on weekends than I do on week days. This is regardless of what time I've gone to bed the night before. Very irritating, and I want it to stop.

pudgee said:
I've got an incredibly annoying habit of waking up earlier on weekends than I do on week days. This is regardless of what time I've gone to bed the night before. Very irritating, and I want it to stop.

Drink yourself into a finely tuned sleeping machine. But do it with spirits not beer so you wont wake up at 7 needing to piss out one of the great lakes. And keep water by your bed, you WILL be thirsty in the morning.

Prolific said:
Drink yourself into a finely tuned sleeping machine. But do it with spirits not beer so you wont wake up at 7 needing to piss out one of the great lakes. And keep water by your bed, you WILL be thirsty in the morning.

he's already tried that. i reckon his problem is a guilt complex. he is punishing himself at the weekends because he feels on some level he has wasted his time during the week.

steve sanders said:
he's already tried that. i reckon his problem is a guilt complex. he is punishing himself at the weekends because he feels on some level he has wasted his time during the week.

...and he touches himself at night.

We should rely on our "body clock" rather than the alarm really ... being startled awake by an alarm in the morning is not good ... it puts people in a bad mood for the day ... what did people do before they had alarm clocks?

Hochma said:
We should rely on our "body clock" rather than the alarm really ... being startled awake by an alarm in the morning is not good ... it puts people in a bad mood for the day ... what did people do before they had alarm clocks?

well if we go with prolifics claims, without the alarm there to wake us, we wouldnt expect it thus wouldnt wake.

that and the fact that the economy would fall apart if i wasnt at my desk by 9am.

before alarm clocks foolish humans relied on earths yellow sun.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Mike Rice: Nasty Character
The Roundy, Castle St.

31st May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼