Benny does it again.

Thanks for the invite Benny, and I'll certainly drop into Canty's at some stage. As I said, fair play to you as a Cork man doing well and it's great to see new generations employed. As I also said, I thought that lady in zigg...sorry The Park, had a bit about her and should do well.

Not sure why there are two murals Constance Markievicz and one of the other ladies but mustn't grumble on that one ;)

The number of pubs in the City "centre", where I think the preponderance of your pubs are, wouldn't even approach 120. Could I be so cheeky as to ask how many you have in your stable now and roughly how many there are in total say from Coburg Street, McCurtain Street over to Goldbergs back to Fordes, north to the Northgate Tavern and back to Coburg Street - what could loosly be termed "the flat of the city". I doubt at this stage there are much more than about 60 tbh. 15 pubs for instance out of say 60 would be a big slice of the market.

I know you're the pub-trade expert and see things from that other side of the counter, and I'm just one of thousands of punters that frequent pubs on social occasions, but I calls it as I sees it with regards to tied houses and the way things seem to be going.
I occasionally go over to Scotland where I've been known to enjoy a libation or two but what I don't like about drinking over there is the lack of universality in the selection of "staples" because different chains own different emporiums.

One could go from pub to pub in Cork from the 1980s up to the naughties and be sure of getting a pint of the popular tipples - as well as being presented with a variation in the not-so-popular options. The variations have increased but alas it no longer seems to be the case when "if in doubt call one of the old reliables". I won't pretend to know anything about successfully running a bar from start to finish, but over the years I've amassed some experience of what a lot of people seem to like on the customer side of the bar 😇
BTW, why is it only The Castle that seems to stock snuff? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, good luck with your various ventures and maybe you think I'm just a grumpy so-and-so, but I do pine for the alas fast disappearing "local" where one can come and drink a consistently good pint and customers and/or the barman will engage you in conversation or leave you the hell alone depending on your wanting to talk to them or not.
Cheers soundy Let’s walk it and see,I’m as much a punter as a publican so it makes it easier to deliver what people want .
Interestingly from Victoria cross to the lower road and from lehenamore to mayfield there have been 91 pub closures since 1980 ,but 50 of them are in the area you define ,it’s an incredible number ,
On tied houses they are no longer ,but you can’t deny the demand for award winning local beer .

The truth of the matter is that public houses have been closed by overwhelming and often contradictory compliance issues ,the same is true of the corner shop ,
It’s a shame and I agree with you there ,but we can’t cast the survivors as somehow being let’s say disloyal to the concept of the public house ,

There was a time where you could actually go missing in the pubs of cork and not be found for a couple of days
I lament is passing as you do but I disagree with you on one fundamental point ,there actually was less choice in Cork at the taps in those times and it was basically a duopoly,now there is way more choice across the city centre and most of it is local ,that is an incredible feat,
Fran well,rising sons ,stag ban,elbo lane ,look also at kinsale gin etc,
These less popular options would never get a look in back then ,now we have fewer pubs but better choices ,
Its a mighty thing to take down a giant and not sell your soul in the hope of an all Ireland ticket ,

Come on let’s go for a pint .I’ll even accompany you into a gaff that sells the Dublin stuff .

Soundly ,there is a young person there starting out in the pub trade ,I think she has done a fresh and different job on the gaff and it’s very well recieved in fairness, It might not be to your liking but its different from all these new places

Soundy,that a young woman who is starting out in the pub trade ,I think she has done a fresh job that’s different to all the faux old gaffs opening up some with rather dubious names politically but that’s another story ,she is being very well recieved in fairness but I suppose it’s not for you or even for me ,I got the same reaction when I opened that very same pub in 1991 from the older clientele ,
As for hoovering up pubs you’d swear there was only 2 doz pubs in the city instead of 120 ,so there is plenty of choice and we can’t deny the upcoming generation such as the woman who took a chance on the park ,
I love pubs but am aware of my own sell by date ,I’ll be going gracefully rather than turning into the cork pub bore version of comic book guy ,in my day etc ,
As for the popular brands do you mean bud and carsberg?
Sure they are not from cork at all .am I missing one ?
Here’s to local pubs and local beer and to not falling into the hands of hedge funds and private equity which is a hot topic elsewhere ,
In the meantime I’m working shifts in Cantys fri and sat night ,that one won’t be changing ,I’ll buy you a pint ,
MOE is giving the blessing at 9pm
Have standards really dropped that low?

I got some of the nicest pints of Beamish I've ever had in my life over the summer in the top of Coom pub on the Cork Kerry border on the road to Kenmare. I also had a cracking 12 inch pizza made on premise and cooked in their pizza oven to go with it.
The pizza was 12 euro and the Beamish was less then 4 euros.
No candles though. 😐

I got some of the nicest pints of Beamish I've ever had in my life over the summer in the top of Coom pub on the Cork Kerry border on the road to Kenmare. I also had a cracking 12 inch pizza made on premise and cooked in their pizza oven to go with it.
The pizza was 12 euro and the Beamish was less then 4 euros.
No candles though. 😐
You can’t beat a quality pint of Beamish 😋

That always happens when a business closes. If a fraction of those who claim to have shopped there every week had done so,
the owners would be multi milionaires,

Are you suggesting I didn't put my fair share of custom James Brown's way jimmy? Or are you just trying to brown-nose some free booze :rolleyes:

Cheers soundy Let’s walk it and see,I’m as much a punter as a publican so it makes it easier to deliver what people want .
Interestingly from Victoria cross to the lower road and from lehenamore to mayfield there have been 91 pub closures since 1980 ,but 50 of them are in the area you define ,it’s an incredible number ,
On tied houses they are no longer ,but you can’t deny the demand for award winning local beer .

The truth of the matter is that public houses have been closed by overwhelming and often contradictory compliance issues ,the same is true of the corner shop ,
It’s a shame and I agree with you there ,but we can’t cast the survivors as somehow being let’s say disloyal to the concept of the public house ,

There was a time where you could actually go missing in the pubs of cork and not be found for a couple of days
I lament is passing as you do but I disagree with you on one fundamental point ,there actually was less choice in Cork at the taps in those times and it was basically a duopoly,now there is way more choice across the city centre and most of it is local ,that is an incredible feat,
Fran well,rising sons ,stag ban,elbo lane ,look also at kinsale gin etc,
These less popular options would never get a look in back then ,now we have fewer pubs but better choices ,
Its a mighty thing to take down a giant and not sell your soul in the hope of an all Ireland ticket ,

Come on let’s go for a pint .I’ll even accompany you into a gaff that sells the Dublin stuff .
I always tried to avoid the dublin stuff if there was anything palatable from Cork, but maybe it's the lack of option got me cranky more than the flavour of the pints themselves. I always drink Murphy's in the winter but in the summer I tend to go for lager or the occasional cider - love Stonewell. "Keep a Corkman employed" was my credo and I even used drink Carling back in the dya when it was brewed on the southside (nearly). But whatever has happened to Heineken even a couple of pints of it leaves me feeling grotty the morning after - no matter how much they claim that there's no additives in the Irish version of it.

I suspect I'll be in your unsuspecting company again soon. And no need to buy me a pint (thanks for the offer btw).
I'll be that handsome chap blending into the background ;)

I always tried to avoid the dublin stuff if there was anything palatable from Cork, but maybe it's the lack of option got me cranky more than the flavour of the pints themselves. I always drink Murphy's in the winter but in the summer I tend to go for lager or the occasional cider - love Stonewell. "Keep a Corkman employed" was my credo and I even used drink Carling back in the dya when it was brewed on the southside (nearly). But whatever has happened to Heineken even a couple of pints of it leaves me feeling grotty the morning after - no matter how much they claim that there's no additives in the Irish version of it.

I suspect I'll be in your unsuspecting company again soon. And no need to buy me a pint (thanks for the offer btw).
I'll be that handsome chap blending into the background ;)

Heineken is a manky pint these days. It used to be my go to lager, but Jesus one gulp and I feel like finding the nearest sink.

I'll be in Canty's from 9pm tomorrow wearing my poppy, it would be nice to have a pint with you

I was in the Park on Saturday. The lady behind the bar is running a great spot and had to put up with a right pest sitting at the bar at one point but handled it well ( Which one of you lot was it?!)

It is lacking something... If the juke box returns it may allow for the subtle sounds of rock to come back and then all will be forgiven.. Maybe?!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
All You Need Is Death (16)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

21st Apr 2024 @ 4:15 pm
More info..

All You Need Is Death (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4:15pm

More events ▼