Ban Dogs from the beach

couldn’t agree with that, m8. i’ve grown up with dogs all my life but only officially owned two as an adult who had full care of them. i’ve never mistreated an animal but can say my parents, grandparents and most of my neighbours were cunts towards dogs. beating them for coming into the house. locking bitches into the shed when they were in heat. kicking stray dogs who came into the yard. cutting ears from useless greyhounds. etc. etc.

we have an appalling attitude towards dogs in ireland imho which has only righted itself in the last 10 or so years.

edit: i have an aunt whi takes great pleasure in drowning undesirables. kittens are her favourite ffs

couldn’t agree with that, m8. i’ve grown up with dogs all my life but only officially owned two as an adult who had full care of them. i’ve never mistreated an animal but can say my parents, grandparents and most of my neighbours were cunts towards dogs. beating them for coming into the house. locking bitches into the shed when they were in heat. kicking stray dogs who came into the yard. cutting ears from useless greyhounds. etc. etc.

we have an appalling attitude towards dogs in ireland imho which has only righted itself in the last 10 or so years.
How is what you say at odds with what I said?

I'm well aware of the kind of stuff you say. And that's the nature of what things were like. Animals as livestock, not your "baby." Still, every place that had working animals also had pet animals, that were allowed sleep in the house and were fed from the kitchen table.

Things have changed where there's concern for every animal's life whether they're destined for the abattoir or a tree planted atop their grave in the garden when they die, but to say that means Ireland doesn't have close ties to nature, rural life, or dogs is rubbish. That we didn't elevate animals to the same levels of humans is correct but that was never the point. And it doesn't change the fact that dogs were and still are a part of our heritage and way of life, and banning them from beaches is rubbish and reflects an even worse idea that animals are a mere annoyance and not intricately tied to everything about us for the past two thousand years.

I'm well aware of the kind of stuff you say. And that's the nature of what things were like. Animals as livestock, not your "baby." Still, every place that had working animals also had pet animals, that were allowed sleep in the house and were fed from the kitchen table.

Things have changed where there's concern for every animal's life whether they're destined for the abattoir or a tree planted atop their grave in the garden when they die, but to say that means Ireland doesn't have close ties to nature, rural life, or dogs is rubbish. That we didn't elevate animals to the same levels of humans is correct but that was never the point. And it doesn't change the fact that dogs were and still are a part of our heritage and way of life, and banning them from beaches is rubbish and reflects an even worse idea that animals are a mere annoyance and not intricately tied to everything about us for the past two thousand years.

so other than mistreating animals, how

other than setanta killing a dog and becoming cú chulainn and black dogs roaming the countryside as a curse or an omen of bad luck and death where have we revered dogs in our mythology? i’m not being smart here but genuinely asking.

donkeys were beaten for being stupid and in most instances unworkable beasts. asses, jennets and mules the same. i remember farming neighbours of mine riding week old calves around a barn for the craic. i even joined in myself. cats kicked and beaten. dogs kicked and beaten. cows having stones pegged at them. badgers and bulls baited. rabbits and foxes driven from their dens by ferrets.

to suggest we’ve been tolerant and kind to our animal friends is nonsensical. even the ones we allow into our own kitchens we’ve treated disrespectfully .

just because we named an area of the countryside after the hare which one frolicked there is akin to having a close relationship and including them in our mythology with animals is idiotic.

so other than mistreating animals, how

other than setanta killing a dog and becoming cú chulainn and black dogs roaming the countryside as a curse or an omen of bad luck and death where have we revered dogs in our mythology? i’m not being smart here but genuinely asking.

donkeys were beaten for being stupid and in most instances unworkable beasts. asses, jennets and mules the same. i remember farming neighbours of mine riding week old calves around a barn for the craic. i even joined in myself. cats kicked and beaten. dogs kicked and beaten. cows having stones pegged at them. badgers and bulls baited. rabbits and foxes driven from their dens by ferrets.

to suggest we’ve been tolerant and kind to our animal friends is nonsensical. even the ones we allow into our own kitchens we’ve treated disrespectfully .

just because we named an area of the countryside after the hare which one frolicked there is akin to having a close relationship and including them in our mythology with animals is idiotic.
F.U hippy.
Fionn%20Mac%20Cumhaill%20and%20his%20hounds%20in%20County%20Kildare.jpg

other than setanta killing a dog and becoming cú chulainn and black dogs roaming the countryside as a curse or an omen of bad luck and death where have we revered dogs in our mythology?
The fact you have to twist what I say and put your own words of "revered dogs" to me shows you're not interested in what I say, or a discussion, only what you want to say. Bollocks off.

Spot on. Up until fairly recently we had an attitude towards animals that was decidedly developing world standard, and some minorities who claim to love certain animals treat them appallingly once they have outlived their usefulness.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Diarmuid Ó Meachair
The White Horse, Ballincollig

6th Apr 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Brightsides

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼