Ban Dogs from the beach

Following a series of reports that An Taisce is leading the battle to ban dogs from the State’s 83 blue-flag beaches, the organisation’s Ian Diamond is feeling misunderstood.

“I don’t hate dogs”, Mr Diamond says, pointing out that Blue Flag International – the global body which governs the coveted awards – warned last year that some qualifying beaches were not honouring long-standing rules.

Under what’s known as Criterion 23, the rules declare that beach access “by dogs and other domestic animals must be strictly controlled” and that they be allowed only in “the parking areas, walkways and promenades in the inland beach areas”.

Are these guys for real?
An Taisce are barking up the wrong tree

Their bark is worse than their bite

Overwhelming majority of dogs on beaches are left off their lead for a period. Dog owners think the rules apply to everyone except them.

Any law like this is not policeable anyway as 99% of dog owners ignore it so they'll do what they always do: bring in the law and everyone ignores it.
Dogs don't have to be on leads as far as I know. They just have to be under effectual control. That said, any dog owner that allows his/her dog to sh*t anywhere on the beach with teh intention of not putting it in a bag should be made take it away in his/her pocket/handbag without a bag.

Don't leave rubbish of ANY kind on the beach! Simples.

How do you go about getting your dog proper exercise on a leash? What about dogs who love swimming?

It's a stupid fucking rule and one that is rightly ignored. You can leave a dog sprint and swim without them going unseen. And always bring a baggy with you. It's not that hard ffs.

What I cant get my head around are the doggo mummies and daddies who go to the effort of bagging the shit and leave it behind for the dog shit fairy to pick up.

The reason so places in the uk are far more dog friendly than here is because the owners actually grasp the concept of responsible ownership.
Meanwhile Paddy spends 1k on a cockapoo but hes too fucking tight and lazy to train the dog properly. And dont get me started on absolute dickheads who buy a Christmas dog only to dump it at the dogs homes when it starts acting up because they can't/wont train it or buy a high energy breed that's stuck in an apartment all day.

I'm not surprised dogs could be banned but equally not surprised that there will be likely no enforcement in the usual half-arsed way we are used to by now.

Last edited:
An Taisce and whoever awards the Blue Flag rubbish should be told to bollocks off. Ireland has a long history of a tight association with rurality and nature, and that involves all kinds of dogs. Sure aren't dogs a vital part of our own Celtic mythology?

Getting people cleaning up after their mutt is what's needed. Not appeasing people who think the country "smells funny" because the only tree they're used to is surrounded by paving slabs, and think the beach smells funny because the only smell of water they've known is from a culvert they were bushing in.

From Cork County Council Web Site

1. Control of Dogs
(i) Between the hours of 12pm and 6pm persons in charge of a dog on a beach are
required to keep such dog on a leash.
(ii) Without prejudice to (i) above persons in charge of a dog on any beach shall
ensure the following:
(a) It is under effective, adequate control at all times, including times
outside those in (i) above.
(b) It is not causing annoyance, danger or nuisance to any person using the
beach.
(c) Its faeces is removed by the person in charge of the dog immediately
after the occurrence and disposed of in an appropriate manner.
(d) Persons bringing any dog/animal onto the beach shall be responsible and
liable for any damage to property or persons which may be caused by it.
(e) Persons in charge of specified classes of dogs must ensure that comply
with the Control of Dogs Act 1986 and the 1992 Control of Dogs
(Amendment) Act and the Statutory Instruments S.I. No 442 of 1998
Control of Dogs regulations.
Exempt from this bye-law are guide dogs for the blind, dogs kept by An Garda
Siochána and under the control of a member of An Garda Siochána in the
execution of his/her duties and dogs kept by the Customs and Excise Service and
under the control of a member of the Customs and Excise Service in the execution
of his/her duties

An Taisce and whoever awards the Blue Flag rubbish should be told to bollocks off. Ireland has a long history of a tight association with rurality and nature, and that involves all kinds of dogs. Sure aren't dogs a vital part of our own Celtic mythology?

Getting people cleaning up after their mutt is what's needed. Not appeasing people who think the country "smells funny" because the only tree they're used to is surrounded by paving slabs, and think the beach smells funny because the only smell of water they've known is from a culvert they were bushing in.
couldn’t agree with that, m8. i’ve grown up with dogs all my life but only officially owned two as an adult who had full care of them. i’ve never mistreated an animal but can say my parents, grandparents and most of my neighbours were cunts towards dogs. beating them for coming into the house. locking bitches into the shed when they were in heat. kicking stray dogs who came into the yard. cutting ears from useless greyhounds. etc. etc.

we have an appalling attitude towards dogs in ireland imho which has only righted itself in the last 10 or so years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

22nd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Prophet Song: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼