Auctioneers

We went to see a house in June 2021. Finally closed in January 2022, having walked away twice. It's so fucking stressful. Ill be taken out of this house in a box!!
3661b4a279cf053d644c682acfeb4831.jpg

Even aside from Auctioneers acting the bollocks the fact that the largest purchase you'll ever make is "buyer beware" i think is crazy.

It wouldn't take much for a proportion of the sale price to be held and if any undeclared defects are discovered within 12 months that it be used to fund repairs.

Right now the buyer is 100% on the hook and there is every incentive for a seller to bury problems and brazen it out

Anyone that goes to view a house they are serious about buying without taking an engineer with them is asking for trouble.

Any house new or old is going to give trouble. Thats home ownership but buying a place that has serious problems is only asking for heartbreak.

Anyone that goes to view a house they are serious about buying without taking an engineer with them is asking for trouble.

Any house new or old is going to give trouble. Thats home ownership but buying a place that has serious problems is only asking for heartbreak.
Yeah i agree with that but i wouldn't overstate the protection an engineers report will give you. They cant make an opes for inspection of building fabric so its superficial enough and really only protects you from dodgy planning on the extension or whatever

But today 100% of the risk is with the buyer. There isnt even any responsibility with the seller. They can pull out cos they can't close on a new place and youre still stuck with the 500 euro engineers report and 200 euro drain survey cost etc etc.

We mandate a BER cert. Why not a cert of electrical compliance. Why not inpect a minumum 10% of roof and floor trusses and hold say 20% of the sale price for any undeclared defects.

Its the only thing with close to zero consumer protection.

Estate agent in wexford was charging 2k to get on a waiting list for a development scheme,
refundable yes, but still a prick of a thing to do,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

1st May 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Eamonn McCormak Band

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:50pm

More events ▼