Assessing adoptive parents

Matlock

Came across this article earlier

https://evoke.ie/2021/05/24/health/too-fat-to-adopt-dublin-woman

Should BMI matter for a prospective adoptive parent? Should age, or marital status?

I understand why BMI is a factor in IVF, as its a medical treatment, and anesthetic et is more dangerous if you have a BMI of over 30.

Curious as to opinions on this... while accepting that it will likely descend to WB/WNB almost immediately.

Should BMI matter for a prospective adoptive parent? Should age, or marital status?

I understand why BMI is a factor in IVF, as its a medical treatment, and anesthetic et is more dangerous if you have a BMI of over 30.

Curious as to opinions on this... while accepting that it will likely descend to WB/WNB almost immediately.

definitely WNB :)

Whatever about the bigger question of adopting because that is extremely complex, it pisses me off no end to see young kids over weight, and in almost every case the mother is also overweight. Those kids only eat what they are given, and in general need to be encouraged to exercise.. obviously there are some exceptions but you see the same thing over and over they are not all exceptions, its just a dreadful diet that they are now forcing down those poor kids necks. I honestly think parents that feed their kids into overweight lumps are abusing that child.

I have a few kids I coach that are now a few stone overweight by 10/11. These are kids that have skills but unfortunately their parents are going to make sure that they wont be able for any sport soon, and with that the situation deteriorates further. Covid has been heartbreaking in that regard, every time we have been allowed to start training again they come back another 1/2 stone heavier :(

This was not the only factor in refusing her application.
It seems like she is using the BMI comment as a publicity element to get her application result changed.

This was not the only factor in refusing her application.
It seems like she is using the BMI comment as a publicity element to get her application result changed.

Well, given that she has now gone down the IVF route maybe not.

Even if it wasnt the only factor though, should it be a factor at all?

For that matter should the fact that she is single be a factor?

Well, given that she has now gone down the IVF route maybe not.

Even if it wasnt the only factor though, should it be a factor at all?

For that matter should the fact that she is single be a factor?

But she is not claiming her marital status was a factor.
From what I know of the adoption process now, which is anecdotal from a couple of friends who have spent years trying to successfully adopt - there are interviews, checks and a whole swathe of factors included in the decision process.

A few stone overweight at 10. Jesus that is awful.

yep, and they are kids I've been coaching since they have been 6/7 so I've literally watched them swell. Its such a shame to see them already getting into a state where they will have a major fight to reverse the damage, if they ever do.. and all because their parents are too fucking lazy to feed them properly and keep them moving :(

We have one fella who is verging on ambidextrous, has a nice skill set, his grandfather played inter county so the breeding is there, but he is slowly becoming more and more ineffectual and is now skipping sessions regularly because he knows he can't compete with his school friends anymore having been one of the better ones. His mother is one of these ones who turns up the the jeep, bate into the tennis gear, baseball cap and sunnies on no matter what and carrying about 4-5 stone... doesn't even seem to be aware that theres enough now between herself and the young fella to make a 3rd decent sized person. The strange thing is that the fathers in almost all cases are not overweight

We have had to start fitness drills specifically to target some of these guys and try to get them burning the excess fat

But she is not claiming her marital status was a factor.
From what I know of the adoption process now, which is anecdotal from a couple of friends who have spent years trying to successfully adopt - there are interviews, checks and a whole swathe of factors included in the decision process.

She says in the article that she was told that because of her BMI and because she was single that it wasnt looking like she would be approved and that she was wasting her time.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Special Guest Award Winning Ray Harrington - Danny Ryan
City Limits, Coburg St.

20th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼