anyone remember the golden age of Irish country and western music?

anyone remember the golden age of Irish country and western music?

Big Tom and all the lads... I think yer man sonny knowles was there too... he had a special wave as far as I remember... it was his 'thing'

it only popped into my head the other day... the late eighties, the Irish country and western music scene... what the fuck were they on?...

anyone have any more memories or info on this? it's part of our heritage after all...

paulie said:
Big Tom and all the lads... I think yer man sonny knowles was there too... he had a special wave as far as I remember... it was his 'thing'

it only popped into my head the other day... the late eighties, the Irish country and western music scene... what the fuck were they on?...

anyone have any more memories or info on this? it's part of our heritage after all...

They were all on a mutant strain of crack . Other stars were " Tr dallas " Chuck Winters (my personal favourite) The Indians , Margo and Susan Mac Cann (sic) . To be honest its a peroid of history in Irish music best forgotten as most of it was dire . It was espeically popular up north and on the west coast. The stars mentioned above paved the way for Irelands biggest gay if only star Daniel O Donnell nuff said

i love country (hank williams, johnny cash, will oldham, etc) but 'country and irish' as it was known is one of this country's greatest abominations, truly horrendous stuff altogether.

Big Tom and the Mainliners could have been as big as U2, a shame really, a potential unfulfilled by the usual drugs and sex associated with country and western.

strict66 said:
They were all on a mutant strain of crack . Other stars were " Tr dallas " Chuck Winters (my personal favourite) The Indians , Margo and Susan Mac Cann (sic) . To be honest its a peroid of history in Irish music best forgotten as most of it was dire . It was espeically popular up north and on the west coast. The stars mentioned above paved the way for Irelands biggest gay if only star Daniel O Donnell nuff said

it's still pretty big in the midlands and parts of ulster

when i'm up that end of the country doing deliveries i often see huge signs for those kinds of gigs

Jim Comic said:
it's still pretty big in the midlands and parts of ulster

when i'm up that end of the country doing deliveries i often see huge signs for those kinds of gigs

I'd say you're up in the front row line dancing away, you might as well admit it. I heard you have a cup that Daniel O Donnol threw from the stage on top of a press next to your bed.

there's nothing that gets me going more than a nuala in a pair of cowboy boots... gwan ya good thing

and here's westmeath's very own TR Dallas:

trdallas.jpg

Jim Comic said:

Big time. Once the weekend hits, all the bars get these guitarist and drum machine country combos in, and pack the place out.

It's funny for about 30 seconds...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Flash Harry - A Celebration of Queen

Cork Opera House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼