Anyone ever hear a story...

Happened in April 2002

A man has been charged tonight with the murder of 19-year old Nicola Sweeney who was found stabbed to death at her home at Underwood House in Rochestown, County Cork, last night.

Within the past hour, 19-year old Peter Whelan from Ashgrove in Rochestown was brought before a special sitting of Cork District Court where he was also charged with assault causing harm to another woman.

The man has been remanded in custody to appear again before Cork district court tomorrow.Gardai have named the victim of the fatal stabbing in Cork last night. She was Nicola Sweeney, a 19 year old who would have been 20 next Tuesday.

I knew him back in the days of Rocco disco, seemed a bit mad in the head even back then.

Stories about him were fairly sick.

the ira never burnt it down, it fell into serious disrepair and was sold to o'brien and o flynn in the late 70s who demolished and built palbury estate on the grounds

That was the story then it looked like there was a large fire there at some point. If they didn't it's a pity, a lot of English estates still abound with outrageous acre-ages of land.

There was definitely a girl murdered somewhere on the Kinsale Road in the early to mid sixties. I remember hearing from a relative that people travelled from all over the city to see where it happened , murder being so rare then. Guy caught within a few days and did life.

He worked in an abbatoir suitably enough.

There was definitely a girl murdered somewhere on the Kinsale Road in the early to mid sixties. I remember hearing from a relative that people travelled from all over the city to see where it happened , murder being so rare then. Guy caught within a few days and did life.

My mam said it happened near the snotty bridge and the girls name was liz gould,

I knew him back in the days of Rocco disco, seemed a bit mad in the head even back then.

Stories about him were fairly sick.
I had a very weird proximity to this case. The girl I was going out with at the time was friends with Nicola Sweeny. One of my buddies from school hung out with Peter Whelan at one point and I'd been around him on a couple of occasions as a young fella.

Horrible case.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼