Anyone ever been to a Nutritionist?

Dietician. Profession my ass
O wait you are discharged from hospital, but you can't leave until you have seen the dietician
Two hours later, some bird appears and hands you a flyer with a diet on it
To be fair, I think that is more a system problem than a dietitian problem!

In the maternity they send around a dietitian to talk to you before going home, to talk about breastfeeding. While the dietitian was in, talking about the importance of fresh fruit and veg etc to support breastfeeding the kitchen staff brought in my supper which was 3 sausage rolls and some congealed beans (gawk). The dietitian just burst out laughing and said "well start when you get home" ;-)

To be fair, I think that is more a system problem than a dietitian problem!

In the maternity they send around a dietitian to talk to you before going home, to talk about breastfeeding. While the dietitian was in, talking about the importance of fresh fruit and veg etc to support breastfeeding the kitchen staff brought in my supper which was 3 sausage rolls and some congealed beans (gawk). The dietitian just burst out laughing and said "well start when you get home" ;-)
My dad had heart surgery about 10 years ago - in comes the dietician who lectures him for about 20 minutes on the new regime, diet and the lifestyle change that would now be required. My dad runs through his very healthy (and unimaginative) diet, regular exercise, points out that he wasn't over weight and the fact that the issue was hereditary. Oh, yes, em, as you were then, and leaves :)

The food in hospitals has puzzled me as much as yourself - surely, of all places they would be serving far healthier food?! I always thought they might think it was comforting for people in pain or something?

My dad had heart surgery about 10 years ago - in comes the dietician who lectures him for about 20 minutes on the new regime, diet and the lifestyle change that would now be required. My dad runs through his very healthy (and unimaginative) diet, regular exercise, points out that he wasn't over weight and the fact that the issue was hereditary. Oh, yes, em, as you were then, and leaves :)

The food in hospitals has puzzled me as much as yourself - surely, of all places they would be serving far healthier food?! I always thought they might think it was comforting for people in pain or something?
Honky honest as god, because of a health problem the wife has me on clean meat, vegetables, fish and salads...
I've put on 17 lbs....

Honky honest as god, because of a health problem the wife has me on clean meat, vegetables, fish and salads...
I've put on 17 lbs....
That doesn't sound right Fed! Salads is a tough one in the winter when you need a bit of warmth in the system - soups is probably a better way of achieving the same thing.. Rachel Allen has just brought out a book on soups so the missus is busy trying a few of them at the moment

That doesn't sound right Fed! Salads is a tough one in the winter when you need a bit of warmth in the system - soups is probably a better way of achieving the same thing.. Rachel Allen has just brought out a book on soups so the missus is busy trying a few of them at the moment
I reckon it's because I have become less active, I still walk but used to swim, train regularly etc but that's put on the back burner for now.
I also have puppy dog eyes when I visit family lol.
I'm my own worse enemy, maybe this is the weight I should be normally.

I don't think it applies to Irish hospitals because the food is rubbish no matter what way you cut it but I know someone who was in a French hospital (proper grub, steamed potatoes, perfectly cooked green beans and other veg, a whole fish, restaurant level stuff,) and their attitude was that for the really sick you don't particularly care in the moment what they're eating, as a lot of really sick people just need food in them. Most of the actually sick asking for a drink were given Coca Cola or something similar (the proper stuff) because the doctors just cared about the patient getting energy into them no matter what. If a patient had been recovering from something for a week, not eating much, and suddenly said, "Y'know what? I'd love a Big Mac and some chicken nuggets!" someone was sent out for a Big Mac and some chicken nuggets.

As for dieticians, the one-and-done meeting thing is just box ticking. When they're dealing with long term cases a lot of what they'll do will be motivation and being someone to keep you on track. Sure, the really top level footballers have private chefs so they're not always ordering curries and burgers, but at the level below that in sports dieticians will be about motivating them to stay the course.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

17th May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Little Known & Mossy & Pebbledash

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼