Anti social activity in the city.. ekk

Lower oliver plunkett st and anderson st is like a magnet for them, would moving the simon hostel out of town be a help?
O'Callaghan Properties own the big site right next to it and it would make sense to re-develop the entire area and move this facility away from tourist areas which has popular hotels, bars and restaurants in the area.

Self appointed “help the homeless” groups take it upon themselves to drive their hatchbacks onto the footpath on Patrick’s Street to give out food and “hygiene packs.”

It might be best if these people went to the Simon hostel instead of attracting the winos junkies and zombies into the city centre where they end up hassling people waiting at bus stops.

What is the solution in your opinion ?
Start tasing a few of the yokels and the message will eventually get through. Re your earlier post about gardai leaving the force, for the abuse they get from idiots and their hands are tied I wouldn't blame them. Time was you would be afraid to say boo to a garda and they were respected. It's embarrassing when your over seas and see the respect the French, Spanish, German police etc. command.

Last edited:
Mahon Point, Bishopstown Court, Blackpool, Wilton, Douglas shopping centres don’t appear to have the problem that the city centre has with zombies and drunks.

Maybe that’s because they have security guards constantly patrolling……
All those Shopping Centres security personnel have to tap into a log-on route to ensure that they are patrolling malls and toilet areas etc.

Public sector just not motivated or resourced in the right areas with huge numbers of staff wasting away in administration doing tasks that could be contracted out to the private sector like all the other semi-states do.

It's like the Gardai have just given up on the city centre. I was on Kyle Street last Friday and there was a squad car stuck on traffic, these two scummers went right up to the window and started shouting all kinds of things at them. The two lads in the car just took the abuse and drove away up North Main Street when the traffic cleared.

That boardwalk down by Electric is beyond help too.

Lower oliver plunkett st and anderson st is like a magnet for them, would moving the simon hostel out of town be a help?

Think there's also a Simon Hostel on the Boreennamanna Road just down from where the Glenanaar used to be. Not sure moving the hostel out of town would be a help unless you mean well out of the city centre. Move the hostel down to Blackrock - I beleive there are some big houses down there that could be converted 😇

Think there's also a Simon Hostel on the Boreennamanna Road just down from where the Glenanaar used to be. Not sure moving the hostel out of town would be a help unless you mean well out of the city centre. Move the hostel down to Blackrock - I beleive there are some big houses down there that could be converted 😇
There is sheltered housing up the road from Longboats. Story goes that the lady who owned it at one time did not get on with her neighbours so as a parting gift in her will, she donated the property to Simon. Delightful if true.

Bring back a height restriction for joining Gardai, it should never have been abolished. At least if they aren't armed with tasers, they would have some sort of intimidation factor.

Bring back a height restriction for joining Gardai, it should never have been abolished. At least if they aren't armed with tasers, they would have some sort of intimidation factor.
A friend of mine is in his last year before retirement. A fine strapping lad is probably how he would have been described in his day. Absolute gent but I'd say he'd end you if you tried it on. He was telling me when he left Templemore his first posting was Dublin and every day the Sergeant would hunt them all out of the station to walk the beat. He said the job has changed so much now as not only are you being scrutinised by the public, but your superiors are also breathing down your neck watching every move. Was saying that the human element is disappearing from the job.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼