A very covid Christmas

Matlock

Not sure this is worth a separate thread, but I would get lost in the arguing of thd main covid thread.

This Chrustmas is obviously going to be very strange, so I thought it might be an idea for people to throw up stuff that worked or didn't work for them Christmas wise this year.

We brought the kids on the ferris wheel last night. I was a little concerned about queues there but I have to say it was brilliantly handled. You can book in advance, so while you still need to queue you are guaranteed a place. Social distancing well maintained by staff and well enforced by them in the queue. Carriages disinfected between users and lots of hand sanitizer available. Felt like a very safe experience.

Rather than glow in the park, they have little window displays around town telling panto stories. There is a map to all of them on the city council website, cant link it from my phone. Great for small kids,probably boring for over 7s.

Also, there is an Irish company called from Santas desk, that will send lovely personalised christmas letter to kids from Santa in lieu of a visit to the man himself.

On the other hand, went to the marina market last weekend for a look and walked straight back out. Too packed and chaotic imo. Might be ok for adults but no place for kids. Now, it was a sunny sunday so maybe it isnt usually that packed.

On a non kid related note, the only restaurant I have been to since restrictions lifted is poachers in Bandon and I was very impressed by their set up. Again, it felt very safe and well managed.

Did you wear your mask while on the wheel?

Did you clean the wheel before and after?

Did ye spot any of The Greys lurking around selling their ware?

Not sure this is worth a separate thread, but I would get lost in the arguing of thd main covid thread.

This Chrustmas is obviously going to be very strange, so I thought it might be an idea for people to throw up stuff that worked or didn't work for them Christmas wise this year.

We brought the kids on the ferris wheel last night. I was a little concerned about queues there but I have to say it was brilliantly handled. You can book in advance, so while you still need to queue you are guaranteed a place. Social distancing well maintained by staff and well enforced by them in the queue. Carriages disinfected between users and lots of hand sanitizer available. Felt like a very safe experience.

Rather than glow in the park, they have little window displays around town telling panto stories. There is a map to all of them on the city council website, cant link it from my phone. Great for small kids,probably boring for over 7s.

Also, there is an Irish company called from Santas desk, that will send lovely personalised christmas letter to kids from Santa in lieu of a visit to the man himself.

On the other hand, went to the marina market last weekend for a look and walked straight back out. Too packed and chaotic imo. Might be ok for adults but no place for kids. Now, it was a sunny sunday so maybe it isnt usually that packed.

On a non kid related note, the only restaurant I have been to since restrictions lifted is poachers in Bandon and I was very impressed by their set up. Again, it felt very safe and well managed.

Was there myself yesterday evening. Didn't do ferris wheel but smallies went on the carrousel. Was well run tbf.
Was hoping the stalls would be there but obviously they've moved to the marina this year.

Did you wear your mask while on the wheel? No, but we did in the queue. Well the adults did. The kids didn't.

Did you clean the wheel before and after?
No, but it was disinfected by staff.

Did ye spot any of The Greys lurking around selling their ware?

No idea who the Greys are?

Typical behaviour by Sinn Fein at a time of year that we should all be putting our differences aside

‘Happy Christmas Sinn Fein style’ is how DUP Councillor Adrian McQuillan described the erection of a large poster in front of pensioners’ homes in Garvagh Road, Kilrea calling for a ‘New Ireland’.

Cllr McQuillan said; “The erection of this poster is an absolute disgrace, especially outside pensioners’ housing.

“After what has been a difficult year for people across the borough and Northern Ireland as a whole, people are looking forward to spending time with their families over the festive period in as normal of circumstances as can be permitted given the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

“It would appear to me that Sinn Fein are attempting to incite tensions within the local community at a time when we should all be coming together.

“I would call on the Northern Ireland Housing Executive to remove this poster immediately, which yet again is another evident example of anti-British sentiment which Sinn Fein are all too familiar with promoting.
“You can’t pick and choose who you represent. As an elected representative, we are here to represent everyone with fairness and integrity.”

When contacted by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, a spokesperson for the Housing Executive said: “Staff were made aware of a large poster on a grassed area owned by the Housing Executive at Garvagh Road, Kilrea.

“Following enquiries with a local representative, we have been assured that the poster will be removed this evening (Monday).”

0-3-1140x694.jpeg

Elf on the shelf is a clever way of getting your smallie(s) out of bed on these cold mornings, in fact, it's a winning strategy.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

12th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Prophet Song: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼