2023 Premier sfc

Absolutely - All within the GAA rules and their commitment is to be commended. Also important to point out that there are many families within that football club doing the same. All within the rules but fairness, well that's another thing
I agree with your comments about fairness Bryan. There are many aspects of player registration which appear unfair. Being able to play with any club in the county is one, being able to play with your fathers 1st club is difficult to understand at times, the suggestion that you are able to play with any club in the city and move freely from one to the other seems unfair, being able to move club because of your work (as a guard only) seems unfair
But the rules are there, they are well tested and seem to be working in the overall.

Please don’t misrepresent what I’ve posted. Please stop trying to manipulate what I’ve posted to suit your own agenda. From what I’ve read this morning, I don’t agree with anything you’ve posted on this player topic over the last few days. You are wrong in your interpretation of how this all operates.
So just to be clear you are saying that in the main county boundaries don’t matter?

And that Catchment area supersedes a county boundary?

(M

So just to be clear you are saying that in the main county boundaries don’t matter?

And that Catchment area supersedes a county boundary?

(M

As other participants in this conversation have pointed out to you lots of times, you are confusing a GAA county with the administrative counties controlled by local authorities.
A GAA county is the geographical area controlled by a GAA county board, these areas decided on in 1884.
The admin county boundaries today are not the same. We have been through 2 wars and you can imagine in a new republic the differences.

Today, You can be living in parts of Co Kerry, Limerick, Tipp, Waterford but play in an area and with a club that is controlled by Cork GAA.
As mentioned many times here there is a GAA club and pitch etc in Co Tipperary that is in Cork GAAs county. I hope you understand the difference.
It’s the GAA county area that is being referenced in the GAA rule book. The admin boundary of Cork County council has no relevance whatsoever!!
I think you are genuine (maybe a bit over zealous) but you don’t realise there is a difference.
Look we all make mistakes every day. I know I do. Maybe it would be helpful if you’d research this for yourself.
Here is the link that should help with understanding the differences between a GAA county and our administrative counties.

The “main county boundaries” you are referring to are the administrative county boundaries
Yes, they do not matter. They are not relevant in any way to the operations of the GAA.
The GAA has its very own county map for the last 150 years. Your misunderstanding of this basic concept is fundamental to your misguided opinion on this subject. Thanks

As other participants in this conversation have pointed out to you lots of times, you are confusing a GAA county with the administrative counties controlled by local authorities.
A GAA county is the geographical area controlled by a GAA county board, these areas decided on in 1884.
The admin county boundaries today are not the same. We have been through 2 wars and you can imagine in a new republic the differences.

Today, You can be living in parts of Co Kerry, Limerick, Tipp, Waterford but play in an area and with a club that is controlled by Cork GAA.
As mentioned many times here there is a GAA club and pitch etc in Co Tipperary that is in Cork GAAs county. I hope you understand the difference.
It’s the GAA county area that is being referenced in the GAA rule book. The admin boundary of Cork County council has no relevance whatsoever!!
I think you are genuine (maybe a bit over zealous) but you don’t realise there is a difference.
Look we all make mistakes every day. I know I do. Maybe it would be helpful if you’d research this for yourself.
Here is the link that should help with understanding the differences between a GAA county and our administrative counties.

Thanks Glasaboy for the clarification. I must admit I was confused and didn't realise there was a difference between GAA County & Local Authority County.

The “main county boundaries” you are referring to are the administrative county boundaries
Yes, they do not matter. They are not relevant in any way to the operations of the GAA.
The GAA has its very own county map for the last 150 years. Your misunderstanding of this basic concept is fundamental to your misguided opinion on this subject. Thanks
Thanks for clarifying I have a genuine interest in this and the correct workings of this.
to be honest I wasn’t aware of the existence of such a map and by proxy extension of GAA administrative boundaries.

Is there any where one could view such a map?

I fully appreciated there was certain clubs with special rules in place to allow them field players from across county boundaries.

That would be fantastic thanks.

I know in the example of Ballydesmond the village crosses both sides of the county border with the majority of the Village in County Cork.

But in this instance they lads from Kerry are allowed play in Cork with Ballydesmond ( because of what I was told was a special dispensation to Ballydesmond)

going back 10 years or more Ballydesmond had players on both a Cork and a Kerry Inter County panels ( a Kerry Junior Intercounty panel)

My understanding and what was told to me is that with Ballydesmond as part of this dispensation if you live on the Cork side you can only play inter county with Cork and if you are on the Kerry side you can only play inter county with Kerry.

Now maybe there was no dispensation and it was another example of the extension of the GAA administrative county bounds.

Thanks for clarifying I have a genuine interest in this and the correct workings of this.
to be honest I wasn’t aware of the existence of such a map and by proxy extension of GAA administrative boundaries.

Is there any where one could view such a map?
There is no “by proxy extension of GAA administrative boundaries”. They are the same for the last 150 years.

If I recall correctly there was a GAA Club map for Cork GAA online a few years back. I’m not certain but I think this showed the admin local authority boundary also and you could see discrepancy between the GAA and admin regions ie you could see clubs up in North Cork dipping into Co. Limerick.. so maybe try looking for that online.
I fully appreciated there was certain clubs with special rules in place to allow them field players from across county boundaries.
There is no such rule.
The GAA operate to their regions as they have done for 150 years.
It’s the admin local authority regions that have changed.
I think it would help you a lot if you forget entirely about the local authority boundaries as they aren’t relevant as such.. of course in some areas they are still the same 150 years later but in others they are not.

Is this the Map you are referring to? In this map it highlights two areas one as part of killmallock and the other Lismore.

Does this mean parts of Cork are taken under the control of another County board?And if so must they play within those County’s and not Cork?

Attachments

• 5A541304-D9F5-46C3-8370-9009BF240CC4.png
    5A541304-D9F5-46C3-8370-9009BF240CC4.png
    763 KB · Views: 10
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
May December (16)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

11th Dec 2023 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

Chasing Abbey

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼